cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

WRVS4400N V2

RickyMaveety
Level 1
Level 1

I have been given the task of unbricking a WRVS4400N V2 router.  It just sits there with the Power and Diag lights blinking and does nothing else.

I'm thinking I'm going to have to try to find some way to flash the firmware, because I'm seeing that this is a common problem with this router.

I already tried support "chat" online, but after about 20-30 minutes waiting for someone to actually come into the chat room, I gave up.

If anyone has any suggestions, I'd be happy to try them.  I did note that this model is not being sold anymore and won't be supported before very long, so this may be a gigantic waste of time, but I thought I would give it a shot.

2 Replies 2

DominikAu
Level 1
Level 1

you could try to telnet to the router (or the bootloader "boot world") which is used at the rvs4000 and wrvs4400n (v2).

there is a recovery tool for the rvs4000, but since the partition tables of the two routers differ, i don't know if its a good idea to let this tool do it's work. further i don't know if it would even start since it could be that it also checks for a correct HW-id in addition to "find some telnet / tftp enabled router and transfer the firmware file".

so i'd do a network scan for responding devices and try to telnet to it.

btw: since boot world seems to support dhcp, you might have a chance to skip the network scan, when you provide a dhcp server. even more: it seems to have a builtin http too, so you might also skip the telnet part

please keep me updated.

Question: if the bricked router is the only router, is it going to be possible to do a connection to a laptop directly linked to the cable moden and do any of this that way?  I have never done either of the things you mention doing, although I can certainly do a search for "boot world" and ignore all of the shoe stores that are going to pop up.