cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

WRVS4400N wireless client has no internet access, unless first connected via cable

thomas.englund
Level 1
Level 1

Hello everyone,

I recently purchased a WRVS4400N security router and have got a strange problem with it. I set it up as my main router and connected two computers (a desktop and a server) using DHCP. They both work fine, internet is as fast as it should be, no problems whatsoever.

However, when I setup the Wifi SSID (whatever security options I use, same with open/wpa/wpa2) and connect my laptop to it. It is allocated a IP address and windows even says that there is an internet connection. As soon as I try to do anything though, I am dropped. Try to ping an outside server, failure and dropped. Open IE, failure and dropped. I cannot even access my local server connected by wire to the router.

If I connect the laptop via a cable to the router everything works, and it continues to work when I unplug it. So this means that right now I walk over to the router and plug my laptop in for 3 seconds before I unplug it and then use the wifi for a couple of hours without any problem. But as soon as I try to turn on my wireless Logitech SqueezeBox or wireless printer, they fail and take my laptop with it..

I have:

reset the router, used both firmware 2.0.2.1 and 2.0.1.3 and done a factory reset.

Tried to move the router close to the laptop, no difference.

Does anybody have an idea as to what my problem could be?

/thomas

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

If you did get if from NewEgg as a re-furbished item.  Call Cisco Tech Support and open a ticket for it. Mine went back to them for the same sort of issues.

Expect to be without it for a while, they told me within 24 hours of receiving it, my replacedment would be sent out.  They have had it for 3 days and counting... got to love tracking information.

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4

Dean Thompson
Level 1
Level 1

Is this unit a re-furbished one, from Amazon or New Egg??

If you did get if from NewEgg as a re-furbished item.  Call Cisco Tech Support and open a ticket for it. Mine went back to them for the same sort of issues.

Expect to be without it for a while, they told me within 24 hours of receiving it, my replacedment would be sent out.  They have had it for 3 days and counting... got to love tracking information.

Hi Dean,

No this isn't from a company. I bought it used from www.tradera.com (like ebay) . The seller tells me it worked fine for him and has agreed to refund me. Thank you for answering, I have worked with some cisco routers and firewalls before but this one really got me pulling my hair.

I take it from your response that this is a known error that is covered by warranty?

/thomas

Mine and a few others that I know of have gone back under warrenty, but these units are not made any longer and if yours is used, probably does not have a warrenty with it.

You can always call Cisco and find out if it is out of Warrenty.  The router itself is one hell of a router, when it works! lol  Mine should be back with me today, can't wait to throw this POS Netgear in the trash....