Helpful
Replies

WRVS4400N wireless router

ematelyan
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

Just a quick question,

What would be an acceptable number of wireless connections to a WRVS4400N router? 

I'm working in the IT department for a new company, and one of the offices complains that using VoIP and doing large file transfers are constantly a problem.  They are all connecting wirelessly to the WRVS4400N. 

I managed to vpn in and connect to the web interface of the router, and it shows that there are 30 devices connected wirelessly to it.  However, when people plug into the wall jack VoIP and data seem to work fine.

I can't find any info on what a best practice would be for number of wireless connections to the router.  There's no Vlans setup on it from what I can tell, so that may be my next step, to separate data and voice traffic.        

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Clayton Sill
Level 1
Level 1

Hello Eric,

I checked out the admin guide and saw the following listed "Active WLAN Clients Up to 64 Client". So probably it could handle that many connections if there wasn't a lot of traffic going on but if you have a tone of traffic being passed then more than likely that number would shrink.

I would go ahead and go down the path of setting up vlans to separate your VOIP and DATA traffic that should help out a lot. Also watch out for wireless interference that is going on were you may want to change the wireless channel (usually channels 1 or 11 are good channels to chose) to see if that helps.

What I would try checking out at least is changing wireless channels to see if that makes a different and I would run a program called inssider to check the area to try and put a customer on a channel that hardly no one is on. If that doesn't make a difference then you may want to go down the path of setting up data and voice vlans.

Hope that helps,

Thanks,

Clayton Sill

View solution in original post

2 Replies 2

Clayton Sill
Level 1
Level 1

Hello Eric,

I checked out the admin guide and saw the following listed "Active WLAN Clients Up to 64 Client". So probably it could handle that many connections if there wasn't a lot of traffic going on but if you have a tone of traffic being passed then more than likely that number would shrink.

I would go ahead and go down the path of setting up vlans to separate your VOIP and DATA traffic that should help out a lot. Also watch out for wireless interference that is going on were you may want to change the wireless channel (usually channels 1 or 11 are good channels to chose) to see if that helps.

What I would try checking out at least is changing wireless channels to see if that makes a different and I would run a program called inssider to check the area to try and put a customer on a channel that hardly no one is on. If that doesn't make a difference then you may want to go down the path of setting up data and voice vlans.

Hope that helps,

Thanks,

Clayton Sill

Thank you for the reply.  Just wanted to get started in the right direction, and your info has helped very much.

I appreciate it!