cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

WRVS4400N with AG300 and VPN connections

iangoodacre
Level 1
Level 1

I purchased a WRVS4400N router hoping to add wireless and VPN capability to a remote office LAN. I want to be able to establish a VPN connection from my PC at central office to the WRVS4400N at the remote office, to access and administer systems at the remote office. Systems at the remote office don't need access to systems at the central office.

Before deploying the WRVS4400N to the remote office, I am testing and configuring it at our central office.

Our central office has a Linksys AG300 router and ADSL service for Internet connection. This is working well and I don't want to change it.

I have connected the WRVS4400N to our central office LAN and it has an IP address on its WAN port assigned by the DHCP server on the AG300.

What I don't understand is how to establish a VPN connection from a system on the Internet to the WRVS4400N on the LAN. I have a laptop with the QuickVPN software installed. If I connect my laptop to the AG300 (i.e. the same switch as the WAN port of the WRVS4400N) I can establish a VPN connection to the WRVS4400N but if I connect my laptop to the Internet (via my ADSL service at home) I am unable to establish the VPN. I don't know how to configure the AG300 so that the VPN connection from my laptop reaches the WRVS4400N.

I have ipsec forwarding enabled on the AG300, but that doesn't seem to direct the VPN connection to the WRVS4400N.

Can anyone tell me what I have to do?

Is there some other DSL modem that I could use that would facilitate the connection? There is another DSL modem (I don't know make/model until I visit the site) in use at the remote office, but I could replace it if I knew the replacement would work.

Update: I got it working. See https://supportforums.cisco.com/thread/2108785 for the advice that was most helpful.

The essential steps were forward the ports indicated in that article (and UDP 500) to the WRVS4400N and I dropped the MTU a bit (don't know if the latter was actually required). Now I can establish QuickVPN connection, except where Windows firewall interferes.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

mpyhala
Level 7
Level 7

Hi,

Thank you for posting. In the AG300, forward the following ports to the WRVS4400N WAN port IP address: 443, 500, 4500, 60443. This may allow you to establish a QuickVPN to the WRVS4400N using the WAN IP of the AG300.

View solution in original post

2 Replies 2

mpyhala
Level 7
Level 7

Hi,

Thank you for posting. In the AG300, forward the following ports to the WRVS4400N WAN port IP address: 443, 500, 4500, 60443. This may allow you to establish a QuickVPN to the WRVS4400N using the WAN IP of the AG300.

Thanks - forwarding those ports is, I think, the essential requirement. Everything else is pretty much default. And I note that UDP port 500 must be forwarded. Otherwise I forwarded the ports you say for TCP.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: