cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Announcements

Welcome to the Cisco Small Business Community

Have a question? Click on a topic board below to get started in the community.

Views
Helpful
Replies
sjoshi321
Beginner

ASA 5505 - Some guidance needed

Our old device (probably 10 years or older with 256 MB RAM, Unlimited inside hosts running 7.2 version of ASA) is about to die. It dies randomly. But it will work on power reset for unknown amount of time before it dies again.

I bought a new unit from a local B&M store nearby. I tried to copy the config. But the new one has ASA 9.1. So that did not work.

So I copied the ASA and ASDM from the old unit and then copied the config. At this point I had a working configuration. But this new unit keeps crashing with some  assertion "0". What could be the cause of this? The new unit only has 50 inside host license with the limit being reached frequently. I don't suppose the licensing would crash the unit, will it?

I am not very well versed with Cisco and we are about ready to get some outside help. But, just thought I'd check here in case it's a simple fix.

Thanks.

2 REPLIES 2
matthew1471
Beginner

I'm sorry I can't help with the specifics of your issue but an "assertion" is a statement typically added when writing software that if it is not true for some reason means the program has gone very wrong.

Say I have a program that a user can input a width and a height and it says how much carpet they need to buy. The interface should warn the user if they enter in a negative value. In my code near the bit that does the calculating I might add an additional assertion to check that width > 0 and height > 0.. because if it's not then something has gone very wrong with my code and any future running of this code will produce garbage output. This would help me quickly work out why my program is misbehaving whereas if it is allowed to continue I might look at all other parts of it (like the bit that outputs the result for instance). A user should not usually see an assertion.

The ASA is telling you that it's hit a point where some of the input is garbage and it doesn't make sense to continue..

Now the garbage data could be due to a failing unit (bad memory can cause incorrect data to be read back).. More information on what assertion it thinks is failing may help. Have you ensured the new ASA has the latest firmware in-case this is due to a bug in Cisco code? Otherwise I would try an older version of ASA to see whether that triggers the assertion too.

Ravi Singh
Rising star

Cisco always recommend to have latest code so that you can protect your organization with latest security breaches. There are lot of enhancement in new code. It would be better to upgrade with latest code and migrate your config on this new code with necessary changes.