cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Announcements

Welcome to the Cisco Small Business Community

Have a question? Click on a topic board below to get started in the community.
Get the latest news in this issue of the Cisco Small Business Monthly Newsletter

Views
Helpful
Replies
Highlighted
Beginner

ASA5506-X support contract/vpn licence confusion

We recently bought a Cisco ASA5506-X  (SKU ASA5506-K9).  We got it from an online retailer who is not a Cisco Partner. We got it without any additonal contracts or licences.   We are a small company (less than 20 employees). This is our first Cisco product and we didn't know that we need anything else to use it.

Our primary use cases are one site-to-site VPN to another company, a few VPN remote users (5-10 accounts, max. 2 simultaneous) with Windows PCs (AnyConnect?) and basic firewall functions. 

I figured out that I can neither download the latest release of the OS nor the AnyConnect package without entering a contract number.

The seller of the ASA will sell us with the needed licences if we give them the SKUs. After a few hours of reading I am still not sure what kind of contracts or licences we need to a) get security/bugfix updates of the ASA and b) use VPN.

What are the best/least expensive options?

I found: SMB Support Assistant (SMBS)  (CON-SMBS-ASA5506K)  or SMARTnet 8x5xNBD (SNT)  (CON-SNT-ASA5506K)      

Anything else needed to use VPNs? (5-10 users, 2 at the same time and one site to site  should be enough) 

Thank you

Daniel

3 REPLIES 3
Highlighted
Beginner

I understand your frustration

I understand your frustration.  I have been asking the same questions.  Fortunately, I have not made the purchase yet.  I am not very knowledgeable in this area, but I can answer some of your questions. Since this post is several weeks old, you may have found the answers you are looking for by now and I don't want to spend time answering if that's the case.  Reply if you still are looking for answers and I will tell you what I know from my own research about the 5506, VPNs, SMARTnet, etc.

Highlighted
Rising star

VPN Licenses require an

VPN Licenses require an AnyConnect Plus or Apex license, available separately. See the following maximum values when you purchase an AnyConnect license. To Purchase the license you have to contact cisco partner or your cicso conntact.

ASA 5506-X License Features

Licenses
Base License
Security Plus License
Firewall Licenses

Botnet Traffic Filter

No support

No Support

Note: The licensing information might show that this license is Enabled. You should ignore the display, as this license is not supported.

Firewall Conns, Concurrent

GTP/GPRS

No support

No support

UC Phone Proxy Sessions, Total UC Proxy Sessions

VPN Licenses require an AnyConnect Plus or Apex license, available separately. See the following maximum values when you purchase an AnyConnect license.

AnyConnect Premium Peers (maximum)

Shared licenses: No Support.

Shared licenses: No Support.

Adv. Endpoint Assessment

Enabled

Enabled

AnyConnect for Cisco VPN Phone

Enabled

Enabled

AnyConnect Essentials

No support

No support

AnyConnect for Mobile

Enabled

Enabled

Other VPN Licenses

Total VPN Peers, combined all types

Other VPN Peers

VPN Load Balancing

No support

No support

General Licenses

Encryption

Base (DES)

Opt. lic.: Strong (3DES/AES)

Base (DES)

Opt. lic.: Strong (3DES/AES)

Failover

No support

Active/Standby

Interfaces of all types, Max.

Security Contexts

No support

No support

Clustering

No Support

No Support

VLANs, Maximum

Highlighted
Beginner

You may run into another

You may run into another problem.

The ASA-5506-X ships with TWO different types of software. The older "ASA with Firepower services", and the newer "Firepower Threat Defence". With currert versions, only the older software supports AnyConnect clients, for some bizzaire reason it is not availible if you are running FTD.