cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Announcements

Get the latest Cisco news in this December issue of the Cisco Small Business Monthly Newsletter

Views
Helpful
Replies
Beginner

SA520W: Why is LAN Devices so slow?

Hi all,

I have this SA520W acting as a gateway for a small office and it is at firmware level  2.1.71 which should be the most recent according to it's own internal firmware update verification function. 

Yet clicking on LAN Devices, an option you see on the left when you first log into the web management interface, is painfully slow.  It takes sometimes up to 30 seconds to respond. 

I imagine it is polling the network for an updated list of devices detected, however obviously this is a very inefficient process since it should be doing this in the background and should just provide me a list as-is when I click LAN Devices and perhaps update it if new items are found only.  Or so I feel anyway. 

Has anyone else found this same thing to be true?  In terms of what it finds, there are usually no more than 10 devices and the network rarely changes at all. 

Thanks all. 

Everyone's tags (4)
3 REPLIES 3
Rising star

Hi Valley, thank you for using our forum, my name is Johnnatan I am part of the Small business Support community. I apologize for this performance issue; I noticed that you are not running the last firmware 2.2.0.7 you can find the last in the link bellow:

http://software.cisco.com/download/release.html?mdfid=282414018&softwareid=282728525&release=2.1.71

Other thing that I will advise you is check the MTU size, I recommend 1500, remember that you could easily overload the CPU with multiple functions as VPN, IPS, ACL, ect.

I hope you find this answer useful

**Please rate useful posts so other users can benefit from it**

Greetings, 
Johnnatan Rodriguez Miranda.
Cisco Network Support Engineer.

“Please rate useful posts so other users can benefit from it” Greetings, Johnnatan Rodriguez Miranda. Cisco Network Support Engineer.
Highlighted
Beginner

Thanks Johnnatan.  The MTU is already 1500 by default but that's ok, this LAN Devices function behaves differently each time - often it's very slow, occasionally it's right away.  I think it's just the way LAN Devices is designed, it doesn't display what's in the current table in the route rmemory, it goes out and poolls het network for updates before showing the list.  Not something that can be troubleshot, it just needs to be engineered differntly I imagine.  Although I am still happy to try anything suggested to see what happens. 

I did update the firmware, thank you for the info.  I don't know why the router wasn't able to auto-download the update internally since the correct user/pass were in there, however after manually logging into get a fw update for another product yesterday, today when logging into this SA520W I noticed it was suddenly able to auto-login and download the firmware.  Odd but anyway. 

Thanks again! 

Rising star

Hi Valley, thank you for consider my advise, let me know as soonest you have any result.

“Please rate useful posts so other users can benefit from it”

Greetings, 
Johnnatan Rodriguez Miranda.
Cisco Network Support Engineer.

“Please rate useful posts so other users can benefit from it” Greetings, Johnnatan Rodriguez Miranda. Cisco Network Support Engineer.