cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Announcements

Announcement“Cisco Design Thinking Workshop”. Cisco Small Business is excited to invite its Silicon Valley customers to an exclusive interactive one-day session between customers and product Managers.  If you are interested in this exclusive workshop, please fill out the Registration Form. For more information, please check out our FAQ

Get the latest new and information the November issue of the Cisco Small Business Monthly Newsletter

Views
Helpful
Replies
Beginner

Static IP on Flat Network

I want to try this because I do not have the luxury to setup a VLAN network.

My DEFAULT_NETWORK 192.168.100.0 /255.255.255.0

My OTHER_NETWORK 192.168.42.0 /255.255.255.0

How do I implement this? Such a newbie question but I rather ask the experts than experiment on my own. Time saved is gold.

When I change my Computer IP to the OTHER_NETWORK, Windows detects an IP Address conflict which I believed has something to do with the ISA500. My ISA500 has default settings except for VPN settings. The OTHER_NETWORK is an existing network of a server and some IP Phones but it does not exist yet in the ISA500 configuration.      

Everyone's tags (2)
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Contributor

Re: Static IP on Flat Network

Wonderful hardware issue.  Got to love them.  I'm thrilled to hear it got worked out.  If you feel any of the answers was the correct answer, you can mark it as the correct answer and that will "close out" the discussion.  Otherwise you can just leave it and it will cycle off the list eventually.

Shawn Eftink CCNA/CCDA Please rate all helpful posts and mark correct answers to assist others searching for solutions in the community.

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9
Beginner

Hi Dan,

I am no expert, but it seems that you may have another machine on the network with the same IP address. On the ISA device, you may want to go to Networking > Address Management, and check the "address detail" for OTHER_NETWORK_IP and DEFAULT_NETWORK_IP.

Thanks.

Beginner

No other machine has the IP.

I only have 5 devices in this network. 1 Server, 4 IP Phones and I memorize all of their IP Adds.

Tried declaring the OTHER_NETWORK in VLAN and Zones. Still nothing.

Contributor

Dan,
If I'm understanding your question correctly, you want to have two subnets on the same network interface without using VLANs. I'm also assuming you would want these two subnets to see each other. If this is all correct, I don't believe you will accomplish this with the ISA500. You would need a router that allows you to apply a second IP to an interface using the Secondary command. An example would be a Cisco 800 series for certain though some of their SMB routers may allow the same. What you want to do can be done with the ISA, but only using VLANs.

If I'm incorrect on what you're trying to accomplish can you give more detail on your desired end result?

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPhone App

Shawn Eftink CCNA/CCDA Please rate all helpful posts and mark correct answers to assist others searching for solutions in the community.
Beginner

2 subnets on the same network interface, YES.

Two subnets to see each other, NO. I do not need any interraction between the TWO subnets. They are supposed to operate separately.

So I need to restructure my flat network to have a VLAN network. Is this what you are suggesting?

The peculiar thing about my current network is that the PC I use to connect to the server gets the IP conflict as I stated. Therefore I gave up hope of it on how to make it work. BUT here comes the IP Phones. For some reason I can not explain, the IP Phones have a Static IP on the same network I have. They are working fine as I reconfigured one yesterday. IP Phone connection to the Call Server works fine. The reason I need a PC in the OTHER_NETWORK is because I use the PC as a Auto-Attendant Server.

So, VLAN network it is? Let me just check what L2 or L3 boxes that will be good for the buck.

Contributor

I'm glad to hear you're giving VLANs another look. Especially considering you have voice traffic. Do to the sensitivity to latency certain traffic has, like voice and video, it's a best practice to have them in their own VLANs anyway to prevent them from being overrun by regular data traffic. Keep us posted on your progress.

Beginner

I have an update for this.

My laptop which has an i3 procie and is quite new, about year 2011. The Network Adapter is a Realtek PCIe GBE Family Controller. So When I set my IP to a static using the same LAN cable as mention above, I can SUCCESSFULLY get a valid IP from the OTHER_NETWORK and even ping the Call Server. I have a Static IP of 192.168.42.99 as shown below in screen2.jpg

While the server mentioned above is quite old, 2005-ish with a network Adapter of Atheros L1 Gigabit Ethernet 10/100/1000 Base-T Controller and a second LAN card of Realtek RTL8169 Gigabit Ethernet Adapter.

Screen1.jpg

Screen2.jpg

Any comments on this one?

Contributor

I guess I don't understand the question. From the screen shots it looks like everything is fine. Is that not the case?

Highlighted
Beginner

I have resolved this. Seems like this is a hardware issue. Tested different PCs to go on the 192.168.42.0 network and it worked fine. Anyway, I went VLAN. Did some Server rearranging at the office. It is all good now. You can close this discussion now.

Contributor

Wonderful hardware issue.  Got to love them.  I'm thrilled to hear it got worked out.  If you feel any of the answers was the correct answer, you can mark it as the correct answer and that will "close out" the discussion.  Otherwise you can just leave it and it will cycle off the list eventually.

View solution in original post