Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Comments

[toc:faq]

Secondary IP

You can configure more than one IP under FE0/0 (WAN) using the following command:

ip address x.x.x.x y.y.y.y secondary

where x.x.x.x is the IP address and y.y.y.y is the mask.

Dual WAN Interface

You can also create a secondary WAN IP interface following a procedure similar to this one:

https://www.myciscocommunity.com/message/7933#7933

In the example above, things like NAT, DHCP client on the interface, etc. would have to be modified accordingly.

VLAN Trunk

Alternatively, you can create a do1q trunk between the WAN interface and a switch, and have two different IP addresses on the router side (one for each subinterface). Then somehow connect the switch to your ISP(s).

SLA Probe using ICMP

As far as configuring redundancy, consider this:

UC500-Switch-ADSL1-----ISP Router 1
                             |
                 ADSL2-----ISP Router 2

You can implement a configuration with IP SLA probes that monitor a particular IP using ICMP echo replies (ping). You can then associate a static route to that IP SLA condition, so if the IP becomes unavailable, so does the static route.

Now, what IP do we monitor? If the customer has static IP's on both WAN links, ideally we would like to monitor ISP Router 1' s IP and ISP Router 2's IP. If they don't, we can monitor ADSL 1's and 2's respectively, but this will only work if the actual ADSL is a router (not bridging) and it's down (which is less probable than the actual WAN link going down).

So, if your customer has (or is willing to have) static IP's on the WAN, propose the following configuration:

!
ip sla 1
icmp-echo **IP of ISP Router 1**
timeout 10
threshold 2
frequency 10
ip sla schedule 1 life forever start-time now
!
ip sla 2
icmp-echo **IP of ISP Router 2**
timeout 10
threshold 2
frequency 10
ip sla schedule 2 life forever start-time now
!
track ip sla 1 reachability
!
track ip sla 2 reachability
!
ip route 0.0.0.0 0.0.0.0  **IP of ISP Router 1** track 1
!
ip route 0.0.0.0 0.0.0.0  **IP of ISP Router 2** track 2
!
end

For these last two commands, you can also play with the administrative distance, in case you want link redundancy instead of load balancing.

Comments
mhulliga
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

The command "track 1 rtr 1 reachability'  isn't available in my UC500.  I only have option for "track ip sla 1 reachability" which I assume is the same thing.  I believe I am using the UC520 ver 7.02 pack

regards

Mike Hulliham

Right, it is the same thing.

Marcos

bjames
Level 5
Level 5

Marcos,

I do need a configuration like this but my concern is what will support say if an issues arrises, as well what will the dual ISP or trunk config do to CCA?

Thanks,

Bob James

A configuration like this will likely break CCA and could present a problem when calling support.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: