cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Comments

In some countries, people are not used to having to dial an access code to place an outbound call. Typically, one would deploy the UC500 in Key System (KTS) mode to overcome this situation, but some important features only available in PBX mode, would not work.

The most important reason why an access code is helpful, is because it allows the separation of overlapping dial patterns. However, some customers may still want to avoid having to use an access code, even if it opens the chance for collisions when calling out.

One way to achieve the above, is by making the internal dial plan exclusive. This can only be accomplished by the addition of a special character that can still be dialed. The following example details how to do that, by adding a suffix to the extensions, the "*" DTMF option (star key) in this case.

So, the recommendation is that if you have an internal dialplan in the "2XX" range, you change it to "2XX*".

This example illustrates what the end user experience would be:

1) Say the caller wants to dial a local number such as 214-555-5555 and there is an internal extension using "214"

2) Under normal circumstances, the caller would never get to the local number, as the extension (being a best match) would always be selected first.

3) By adding a "*" at the end of each 2XX extension, now the caller can get to the local number, because this "*" digit makes the two strings mutually exclusive.

4) If the caller wants to dial the internal extension, he would dial "214*" from his phone.

Unfortunately CUE does not support "*", so we will run into MWI issues if we try to use these for ephone-dn extensions. We can overcome that by doing the following (still using the 2XX example):

1) We translate the numbers for the calls going to CUE to remove the "*" from the string.

2) We prepend the "*" to the called number for the call coming from CUE that lights MWI on and off.

The following configuration achieves just that:

!
ephone-dn  1  dual-line
number 214*
!
voice translation-rule 2222
rule 1 /\(.*\)[*]/ /\1/
!
voice translation-profile REMOVESTAR
translate calling 2222
translate redirect-called 2222

!

voice translation-rule 3333
  rule 1 /A8000\(...\)/ /A8000\1*/
  rule 2 /A8001\(...\)/ /A8001\1*/
!
!
voice translation-profile ADDSTAR
  translate called 3333
!
voip-incoming translation-profile ADDSTAR
!
!
dial-peer voice 2000 voip
description ** cue voicemail pilot number **
translation-profile outgoing REMOVESTAR
destination-pattern 299
b2bua
session protocol sipv2
session target ipv4:10.1.10.1
dtmf-relay sip-notify
codec g711ulaw
no vad

!

!

ephone-dn  55
number A8001.... no-reg primary
mwi off
!
!
ephone-dn  56
number A8000.... no-reg primary
mwi on
!

Please note that this configuration requires CLI and that the Out of Band rules for CCA should be honored, in order to avoid conflicts. Also, the corresponding CUE config is not included (this example uses non-standard MWI ON and OFF DN's).

Comments
Andy R.
Level 1
Level 1

I know this is an old thread however I have some useful info for anyone trying to remove the outbound dial prefix. The * method above works but severely limits advanced routing features such as hunt/blast groups and more. 

My method makes two assumptions:

1) You are using a United States locale

2) You keep all of your extensions within the 100-199 or 1000-1999 range (this includes pilot numbers).

Limitations:

1) The only downside that I have found is that the user must wait the amount of time defined in the interdigit timeout under the telephony-service configuration before the call is routed out. (411, 911 etc are still routed right away). Users can dial first and then pickup the handset if the interdigit timeout is too short for them.

2) User can not dial 1 for long distance or toll free numbers. They must dial 800-XXX-XXXX or 888-XXX-XXXX.

I removed all the original dialpeers and then added the following:

!

dial-peer voice 60 pots
destination-pattern [2-9]T
!
dial-peer voice 61 pots
destination-pattern [2-9]11

!

dial-peer voice 63 pots
destination-pattern 011T

!
telephony-service
no transfer-pattern 9.T
no secondary-dialtone 9
timeouts interdigit 2
!

In my case the provider needed the 1 sent (pots lines) on any long distance calls so I edited one of the translation rules to add it before the call is sent. This only matches on 9 digits so local calls will still route without the 1.

voice translation-rule 1112
no rule 1 /^9/ //
rule 1 /^\([2-9]........\)/ /1\1/

Good luck and I hope this helps someone!

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: