Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Comments
Patrick Born
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

The SPA5xx IP phones in SIP mode, provide a great feature called Group Paging.

This means that anyone using a SPA5xx IP phone can page all other SPA5xx IP phones on the LAN by simply dialing 800.

This works regardless of what you are using for call control. [Asterisk or other 3rd party call control].

Combine this with a speed dial and you can press only one button to page a group.

Configure a speed dial by pressing an unused line key on a SPA5xx IP phone for 3 seconds. Provide a name and number for the speed dial button and you are done.

Multicast paging is one-way. This means that the person who dials 800 can speak but others cannot reply.

Up to 5 groups can be configured but the phone only takes part in the first two defined paging groups.

Modify group paging behavior as follows:

1.       Enable paging: SPA5xx web-ui > Phone tab > Supplementary Services > Paging Serv: yes [factory default is yes]

2.       Accept pages: SPA5xx web-ui > User tab > Supplementary Services > Auto Answer Page: yes [factory default is yes]

3.       Configure page groups: SPA5xx web-ui > Phone tab > Multiple Paging Group Parameters > Group Paging Script:
factory default is: pggrp=224.168.168.168:34560;name=All;num=800;listen=yes;

[click image to view larger]

capn-0002.jpg

Here's how to add 801 called Sales in a zero-touch deployment. This allows you to dial 800 to page all phones, 801 for Sales:

<Group_Paging_Script ua="na">

pggrp=224.168.168.168:34560;name=All;num=800;listen=yes;

pggrp=224.168.168.168:34561;name=Sales;num=801;listen=yes;

</Group_Paging_Script>

Use the following if you want to edit using the web-ui:
pggrp=224.168.168.168:34560;name=All;num=800;listen=yes;pggrp=224.168.168.168:34561;name=Sales;num=801;listen=yes;

<end>

Comments
scd2zaken
Level 1
Level 1

Dear Patrick,

The method you have written up this page .. will it be a good way to start to get information 'out off the phone' to bring this over to a small 'see who is calling' application. I'am looking for a method to read the status of the phone, which number is calling, on which line .. this information I will bring in a small application to bring the realname of the caller together.

At this moment we collect the change status of the spacfg.xml file, with the beta-program cid4u (see www.uc500.info) ..

Regards,

Eric Oosterbaan

Engineer Netherlands

Patrick Born
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi Eric,

This document describes configuring the phone to listen to a multicast paging group. I don't believe that you will be able to extract information from the phone via mulitcast paging groups.

Regards,

Patrick

---------- 

Jeff Gilliland
Level 1
Level 1

What IP is this and is that a port also?  224.168.168.168:34560   Thanks

Dan Lukes
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Whatever port and IP you configured.

Jeff Gilliland
Level 1
Level 1

Thanks this works great

jhartacs
Level 1
Level 1

I have done everything I can think of and dialing 800 doesn't send any multicast traffic. I am using a tester on two laptops that send and receive multicast traffic and they work fine, so I believe my switch is setup correctly. If I dial 800 it appears to be paging on that phone; however no phone will pick up and my notebooks with multicast receivers don't see the traffic. Also if you send multicast traffic from a notebook the switch lights up with tons of activity, but not when you dial 800.

Any other setting on the phones? I have one SPA514 and one SPA525G. Both have the latest 7.6.1 firmware.

Thanks

John

Jeff Gilliland
Level 1
Level 1

What does your group paging parms look like on your phone?

jhartacs
Level 1
Level 1

Hi Jeff,

I started out using the 34560 port and now I am on 3141 on both phones.

I have:

group paging script: pggrp=224.168.168.168:3141;name=All;num=800;listen=yes;

Paging Serv: Yes

Auto Answer Page: Yes

I have been reading for days and have found several things talking about not using the 224.168.168.168 address, I have changed it and it still had same issue. Seems like I am missing something simple?

Thanks

John

Jeff Gilliland
Level 1
Level 1

How about your dial plan? are you allowing 800#

Jeff Gilliland
Level 1
Level 1

Your screen shots look good  This is mine

pggrp=224.168.168.168:34560;name=All;num=800;listen=yes;

Jeff Gilliland
Level 1
Level 1

Also make sure you have the same on phones you want to page. All phones need this that you want to page

jhartacs
Level 1
Level 1

I believe so, but I have attached it.

jhartacs
Level 1
Level 1

What phone and firmware are you running? I only have two test phones and I have upgraded both to 7.6.1, they were on 7.5.5a. I get the same issue. The phones do appear to be paging. They go off hook and will stay with an open page; however neither the clients on the notebook nor the other phone sees anything. The switch doesn't flicker like multicast either. 

Dan Lukes
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Turn on syslog&debug (highest level) on phone and catch them. They may reveal important facts related to the issue. But I would like to recommend you to create new discussion thread for it.

Also note I see no 800 allowed in your Dial Plan:

Dial Plan: (*xx|[3469]11|0|00|[2-9]xxxxxx|1xxx[2-9]xxxxxxS0|xxxxxxxxxxxx.)
Dan Lukes
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Further discussion related to jhartacs  issue continue in Can't get multicast to work on SPA phones thread.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: