Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Comments
voganville
Level 1
Level 1

RV220w VOIP Quality Issues?- Cisco VLAN to the Rescue!

My continued use of the RV220w has caused me to try out some it's more advanced features.
We found our VOIPO Grandstream gateway was not performing well with our 30mbs down 3mbs up connection.
So to solve this we created two VLANS in VLAN membership.
Tag all the ports except for the ones your ethernet cable will connect to.
For example if you wish for Vlan 1 to be connected by an ethernet cable on port one leave VLAN 1 Untagged and TAG ports 2,3, & 4.

Then move to Multiple Vlan Subnets. Here you will decide your default Gateway address and DHCP address ranges. It's like have having for routers with four seperate lans in one box.
A warning here is that it takes 150 seconds for the router to reboot after each change.
Next move to QOS.
Enable WAN QOS -> select Rate Limit. (you can also use priority but it makes yousegment your network into thirds.)

Click add in the WAN QOS Profile Table. Give the line a distinct name like Voice or Data-> (choose a priority is disabled) just enter the bandwidth alotment.
I would create two of these lines, one with high priority & one with medium.
(You can create a third profile to shuffle settings if you wish.)

Next move to Profile Bindings:
Select one of your previously configured profiles & choose ANY for the service.
For the Traffic Selector Match Type choose VLAN.
Then select the VLAN ID.
Click Save.

To tweak the bandwidth you will need to adjust the minimum and maximum KBPS in the QOS profile window.
However to do this you will need to switch any active Profile Bindings to the dummy profile or create a new profile. Otherwise you will get the error Bandwidth Profile edit failed as it is being used by traffic selector."

Connect Your Phone System to your Voice Vlan Port and your PC's to the Data Vlan port.

Comments
ajester
Level 1
Level 1

I have a 35mb down/ 5mb up internet connection, and I want to limit the network behind this RV220W to only be able to use 30mb/2.5mb of it (I have a seperate network for voice that needs the remainder). I can't figure out how to differentiate between upload and download traffic in the QoS page of the RV220W. Any idea? Thanks in advance.

Hello Franz!   Thanks for the post.   We are having a very similar issue with our Cisco SPA8000 on a big pipe and would like to try the same thing.   I think I understand how to implement the QoS but I am having trouble following your set up of the VLANs, can you give me a bit more detail here.   Did you set up VLAN1 on port one (the Grandstream Port) and VLAN2 on the rest of the ports (general IP traffic)?    I have tried several configurations, but can't quite seem to get them to work.   Thanks again!  Cheers.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: