Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Comments
Steven Smith
Level 7
Level 7
When a router is rebooted with out an IOS image file, it will come up in ROMMON mode.  
This can be a very frustrating experience for users who are not familar with this process.
Using this document, you should be able to put a new image on the UC500.

Connect a PC/Laptop to the WAN port.  The port might stay up or go up and down.

Give a PC/Laptop the following settings
IP Address: 192.168.1.100
Netmask: 255.255.255.0
Default Gateway: 192.168.1.200

Start a tftp program on PC/Laptop and put an image file in the directory that is being shared.
An easy tftp program to use is Pumpkin TFTP.  It can be found at http://kin.klever.net/pumpkin/binaries.
Do not have CCA running when you start your TFTP program.  CCA also uses TFTP and this will interfere with the process.

In my example, the file is uc500-advipservicesk9-mz.124-20.T2.  This is case sensitive.
You can get image files from http://www.cisco.com/cgi-bin/tablebuild.pl/UC520.
They are inside of software packs but start off with uc500-advipservices.
You must have a CCO login to access that URL.

The following commands will configure the UC500 and start the TFTP download process.  You must connect to the console port of the UC500 for the next steps.

rommon 10 > IP_ADDRESS=192.168.1.200  (This is the temporary IP address assigned to the UC500)
rommon 11 > IP_SUBNET_MASK=255.255.255.0 (Same as on the tftp server)
rommon 12 > DEFAULT_GATEWAY=192.168.1.100
rommon 13 > TFTP_SERVER=192.168.1.100 (Tftp server's IP address)
rommon 14 > TFTP_FILE=uc500-advipservicesk9-mz.124-20.T2  (Exact name - case sensitive)
rommon 15 > TFTP_CHECKSUM=0
rommon 16 > tftpdnld
rommon 17 > reset

This text following text will allow you to cut and paste, making this process easier.

IP_ADDRESS=192.168.1.200
IP_SUBNET_MASK=255.255.255.0
DEFAULT_GATEWAY=192.168.1.100
TFTP_SERVER=192.168.1.100
TFTP_FILE=uc500-advipservicesk9-mz.124-20.T2
TFTP_CHECKSUM=0
tftpdnld
reset

At this point, the router should reboot and come up with the new image.

Comments
reidgreen
Level 4
Level 4

Worked like a champ.

bezmalinovic
Level 1
Level 1

Hi guys,

can you help out. I can't get it to work. When i hit tftpdnld, i can ping my UC500. When I run pumpkin nothing happens. from the options menu i choose send file...but i only get the following errors:

UDP packet receive failed

invalid opcode (768) during transfer received

What am i doing wrong?

Steven Smith
Level 7
Level 7

Would you mind posting this question to the community in a discussion, it will be found easier by others there.

raguado04
Level 1
Level 1

It worked very well, and after that step I was finally able to update the pack and reset the UC520 to factory defaults. Thanks!

tasoniba
Level 1
Level 1

Extremely useful post! Thanks Steve

promigen1
Level 1
Level 1

The Pumpkin software did not seem to like the latest upgraded image file (8.6 software).  It kept giving me a "packet file too large" error, even after changing the packet size.  This was resolved by trying a couple different TFTP programs.  I believe I ended up with a program called SolarWinds.  Also, I would advise anyone who are copying and pasting these commands into ROMMON to ensure that no inadvertent spaces are attached to the end of the command.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: