Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Comments
vvijaysa
Level 1
Level 1

A Wireless Distribution System (WDS) bridge lets you connect multiple access points together. WDS allows the connected access points to communicate with each other wirelessly. The clients who roam are most helped by this feature because WDS allows them to have a seamless experience. This makes it easier to manage multiple wireless networks as well as reduces the amount of cables required to connect the networks.

The below are the most common artices on WDS. Click to view the document:

Comments

Hi,

I have been looking for this solution - please let me know the configuration required in other APs connected to the main AP wirelessly.

Also, please refer to the diagram attached and help me figure out if the Cisco SMB 321 will work.

Thanks in advance,

~Syed

Eric Moyers
Level 7
Level 7

My name Eric Moyers. I am an Engineer in the Small Business Support Center.

I am sorry that you have not gotten a response to your question yet. I have been assigned to another project and I am just now getting to start answering some forum post again.

Yes the WAP121 or 321 would do great in this scenario. (I am assuming you would be using all WAP121 or all WAP321 for AP-1, 2, 3, and 4.) Here is what you would need to do.

First for Main AP-1, go to Wireless -> WDS Bridge. Enable the 1st three WDS interfaces. Look at the top and make a note of the local MAC Address listed. Go to AP-2 enable the first WDS interface. Put the Local MAC from AP-1 into Remote MAC Address and save. Make a note of the Local MAC address on AP-2 and put that in the Remote MAC address of AP-1. Make sure and save both configurations.

Follow the exact same steps for AP-3 and AP-4. Put the local MAC address from AP-1 into the remote MAC address of AP 3 and 4. Then add the Local MAC from 3 and 4 to the WDS interfaces on AP-1.

Be sure and save. Now unplug AP's 2, 3, and 4 and move to their permanent positions and reboot. Also go ahead and reboot AP1. This should get those bridges up and running.

If this does not improve your issue, please call our support center and open a case so that one of our engineers can work directly with you.
http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/support/web/tsd-cisco-small-business-support-center-contacts.html

Eric Moyers
.:|:.:|:. CISCO | Cisco Presales Technical Support | Wireless Subject Matter Expert

Please rate helpful Posts and Let others know when your Question has been answered

ariqalabib1
Community Member

Hi Mr. Eric Moyers. Is it possible for more than 4 APs? 

Hi Ariqalabib,

It depends which AP model you are using.

With Single Point Setup deployment is easier and faster. This helps to enable the
wireless LAN to scale up to four WAP121, up to eight WAP321 devices, and up to
16 WAP551 or WAP561 devices in order to provide broader coverage and support
additional users as business needs change and grow.

For detailed information, please refer to the datasheet attached.

~Syed

Thanks Mr. Moyers.

~Syed

Eric Moyers
Level 7
Level 7

If you are referring to WDS Bridging, then no. The MAX amount of bridges that 1 AP can do is 4 regardless of the model. Now if you wanted to have 2 APs as the main APs and let each of them bridge to 4 that is OK.

If you are referring to Single Point Setup (Clustering) then, as Syed Ayaz Subzwari mentions it depends on the model.

Just to add to the document attached, currently WAP 100's - 4 in a cluster, WAP300's - 8 in a cluster, WAP500's 16  in a cluster.

Eric Moyers
.:|:.:|:. CISCO | Cisco Presales Technical Support | Wireless Subject Matter Expert

ariqalabib1
Community Member

"Now if you wanted to have 2 APs as the main APs and let each of them bridge to 4 that is OK." -- if i want to config them all (8 APs), do i config them separately or can be centralized configuration?

Eric Moyers
Level 7
Level 7

My apologizes, I should have provided a more detailed response. WDS Bridging and single Point Setup are exclusive of each other.  

If your main purpose is to bridge the AP's together, then you must configure them separately. 

If your main purpose is centralized configuration then Single Point Setup is the way to go. Just as a reminder, for Single Point setup, you can cluster up to 4 WAP121 together or you can cluster up to 8 WAP321 together. Cisco does not support mixing the 121s and 321s together. Also, each AP in the cluster must be hardwired into the network.

Hope this helps

Eric Moyers

ariqalabib1
Community Member

Thanks for your support, Mr. Moyers.
One last question about WAP121, does it have internal eth switch?

Eric Moyers
Level 7
Level 7

The WAP121 has only the one eth port for connecting to a wired network. However we do have the WAP351 that has a eth switch (4 additional ports).

http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/products/collateral/wireless/small-business-300-series-wireless-access-points/datasheet-c78-733625.html

Eric Moyers

Please rate helpful Posts and Let others know when your Question has been answered

sokkhiang
Level 1
Level 1

what is the maximum distance for each AP in the bridging mode?

~Sokkhiang

Anaskabdullah
Community Member

We have 60 APs (WAP121) in one of the hotel, Working as standalone and facing some issues. Could you recommend the best option to centralize to get better performance.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: