cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Announcements

Get the latest new and information the November issue of the Cisco Small Business Monthly Newsletter

Views
Helpful
Replies
Highlighted
Beginner

Help with WIFI issues

Hi everyone.

I am somewhat new to surveying corporate WIFI for my communications company. I use Ekahau site survey. A customer of ours complained about poor wireless. I did a scan and found multiple issues. I didnt verify but it looks like they are using Cisco 3700 series AP's for the most part with a few 500 series throughout. First of all they are running 80MHz channel widths on the 3700's so channel overlap is a big problem, I will recommend they turn those down to 40 or even 20MHz to alleviate that problem.

What I do not have enough experience with is troubleshooting why I do not get very good signal strength (-69dBm to -70dBm) while standing anywhere near the AP, my whole back half of the warehouse is grey, which in Ekahau is bad. A few of the AP's are set to 50mW. That seems too high to me. Is there something in the controller that shuts down the signal strength if it is seeing too many other AP's? Any help with this would be great. I don't want to go to the customer drawing at straws and looking stupid trying to figure it out so I'd like to get some professional opinions before I come to them with a fix.

I can somehow send the Ekahau scan if anyone would like it.

#Ekahau

1 REPLY 1
Hall of Fame Community Legend

Re: Help with WIFI issues

@bbrouwer wrote:

Is there something in the controller that shuts down the signal strength if it is seeing too many other AP's?

Flexible Radio Assignment is can do this, however, this feature is only supported on APs with a micro-radio, such as 2800/3800/4800 (and later). 

What firmware is the controller running on?  What APs are there?  Are the APs with internal or external antennas?

There are so many questions that needs to be answered that, in cases like this, I'd recommend just re-do a new wireless deployment redesign is the fastest way to get it working again.