cancel
Announcements
Views
Helpful
Replies
Highlighted
Beginner

WVC210 - Poor Wireless

I recently purchased a WVC210 camera.  I upgraded the formware to 1.1.1.15. 

The Camera works fine, with the exception of the wireless interface.  When connected via a cable (wired port), the camera responds as expected.  When I remove the cable, and reboot to wireless mode, the camera connectes to the access point, but the signal strength is very poor and controlling the camera and getting images from the camera are very problematic.

The Camera is located within 10 feet of a E4200 router, but the Signal strength is -79dBm.  I've rebooted the router and the camera several times, but the result is the same... Currently, the net/net is that the camera can only operate when wired, and that wireless operations are so poor, as not to be operationaly viable.

I've swapped the antenna with another, but with no change in signal strength.

I've re-flashed the firmware, but once configured on my home network, no change.

Any suggestions?

9 REPLIES 9
Highlighted
Advocate

Hi Glenn, the wireless coverage of the cameras have been nothing short of phenominal in the years I've worked with them. I know the Linksys home routers have a tendancy to use WPS. I'd recommend, if the router uses WPS, to disable this feature and use a "manual mode" and also try to use WPA-personal  (tkip). You may also try to set the wireless radio to G-only on the router, that may help out stability as well.

-Tom
Please mark answered for helpful posts

-Tom Please mark answered for helpful posts http://blogs.cisco.com/smallbusiness/
Highlighted

Tom,

Thanks for your response.

The routers are both using WPA-2/Personal.  The routers are configured for dual-band (both 2.4GHz and 5GHz).  Both  routers use the same SSID (i.e. MYHOME) on the 2.4GHz band and MYHOME-5 on the 5GHz band.

Here's what I've done:

• I disabled the 5GHz setting on both routers
  • Set both routers to Wireless-G only
  • Rebooted WVC210
  • signal Signal Strength still at -71dBm (which is very low, per my undersatnding)

The camera seems a bit more responsive, but no where what it shoudl be, or what my WVC53GCA is...

Any other suggestions?

Highlighted
Beginner

To follow-on, no changes... Still poor wireless signal stregth.  I've removed the antenna and measured the signal strength (per the camera's Status/Wireless page) and even put on a different antenna.  In all three cases (original antenna, no antenna, and new antenna), the signal strength was the same within 3 dBm (-83dBm to -80dMb)

Are these forums monitored by Cisco/Linksys? 

Regards,

Glenn

Highlighted

Hi Glenn, yes, Cisco/Linksys does monitor this forum. However, there are a few important points to consider. The first problem is, we're talking about wireless. The camera is a very old and stable model. It's been around forever. The camera does not have any general wireless issues. So your circumstance is very subjective and it is most likely something that is not the camera's problem. It is possible you did receive an unit that may have a faulty wireless component, that would be the only problem with the camera's wireless, if it were damaged.

If you feel the camera is "junk" you may just want to exchange. But, if you received a second camera and it had the same problem, your location is the problem. Either be it the router or the environment in which it is installed.

Aside from what you have mentioned and what I've asked, there is not much more to discuss.  So if you're positive your environment isn't the problem it is either a faulty camera or the router is problematic. Which would leave two options, exchange the camera or swap out router and test again or both.

-Tom
Please mark answered for helpful posts

-Tom Please mark answered for helpful posts http://blogs.cisco.com/smallbusiness/
Highlighted

Tom,

My wireless environment is stable and works fine for my tablets, other computers, other cameras and cell phones...  Per your previous message, I reconfigured the network for Wireless G only, tuning off acess points, turning off 5GHz bands, etc., with no difference in perofrmance.   All other devices continue to work fine on the network

I purchased the model given my postive history with Linksys and thier products.  I have several other cameras  (WVC54GCA) which work well.     So, I'm certain that my wirless network is fine (as all my other devices continue to work as expected).     I wouldn't call the product "junk", rather defective.   It happens...

I'm feel that this camera has a defective wireless card, or that the Antenna has become disconncted, as wireless performance does not get better (or change) with or with out the supplied antenna, or a different antenna, even when it's within 10' of the Cisco Router/WAP.  When I plug a wired connection into the device, the device works as expected.

I'll work with Linksys to explore my options wrt a warranty replacement or repair.

Thanks again for your comments and assistance.

Happy Holidays.

Glenn

Highlighted

Hi, My name is Eric Moyers. I am a Network Support Engineer in the Cisco Small Business Support Center. Thank you for using the Cisco Community Post Forums.

Reading through you posts here, I noticed one thing you are saying that your getting -80 dBm on your wireless signal, give or take a few point.

How are you measuring that?

Have you used InSSIDer before? When you run InSSIDer it gives you a picture of what your wireless area looks like and is very informative.  It is a free download.

I know that if you see a signal strength with it of -65 and higher it indicates alot of wireless interference in the area and going higher to -80 and above means that any wireless signal will be lost in noise and virtually be lost all together.

IF you could use that and post some screen shots, it could help narrow down your issue.

Thanks

Eric Moyers    .:|:.:|:.

Cisco Small Business US STAC Advanced Support Engineer

CCNA, CCNA-Wireless

866-606-1866 ext 601027

Mon - Fri 09:00 - 18:00 (UTC - 05:00)

*Please rate the Post so other will know when an answer has been found.

Highlighted

Eric,

I was using the camera's signal strength meter found within the camera in the Status/Wireless...

I'm heading off to work today (vacation is over :-( ), but will try the inSSIDer utility you mention this evening and will share the results.

I have two Linksys Routers (configured a WAPs) supporting my home across both the 2.4GHz and 5.0GHz frequency bands.  Both routers have the same SSID (i.e. MYHOME for 2.4GHz, and MYHOME-5 for 5GHz).  Other wireless devices (iPads, Computers, WVC54GCA, etc.) all seem to be able to access the network without any difficulties.  On the back end, I have a 25mbps symmertrical fiber line servicing the house, so bandwidth to the internet is not an issue.

I'll post a follow-up this evening.

Thanks,

Glenn

Highlighted

Eric,

When I first started trouble shooting this problem, I had two Access Points in the middle of the house, one floor apart.  I noticed that I was getting poor recpetion in the Living room with the camera, but with other wireless devices.  I moved one Access point closer to the living room, to a different upstairs bedroom), which improved wireless access in the Living room and that end of the house.

I downloaded and am running inSSIDer v 2.1.  

I have 3 routers, two of whch are configured as Access Points. The primary router is a ActionTech which is connected to the Internet, providing NAT and DHCP, but No wireless services. The two access points are configured routers (no DHCP, Static IP, connected to Main Router via Ethernet cable connected to a LAN port).

AP#1 - WRT610N, FW 2.00.01.15

• 2.4GHZ - Auto - but reported as Channel 11 by InSSIDer
  • 5GHz - Auto - but reported as Channel 153 by inSSIDer

AP#2 - E4200, v2 FW 1.0.05

• 2.4GHZ - Auto - but reported as Channel 6 by InSSIDer
  • 5GHz - Auto - but reported as Channel 149 by inSSIDer

Location #1 - Office - AP#2 5 ft away on other side of a wall.

• PC running inSSIDer 2.1 - RSSI (assume -dBm) of -33      (2.4GHz - Channel 6) and -54 (5GHZ - Channel 149).  
  • The other router (upstairs, other end of the house, I      see -68 (2.4GHz - Channel 11) and -89 (5Ghz - Channel 153).
  • WVC210 reports a Signal Strength of -64dBm      (Status/Wireless), Connected to channel 6  - Camera responsive       (w/o Antenna -67 dBm)

Location #2 - Living Room - AP#1 10 ft away, in room above

• PC running in SSIDer 2.1 - RSSI of -32 (2.4GHz -      Channel 11) and -42 (5GHZ - Channel 153). 
  • The other router (office), I see a RSSI of -58 (2.4GHz      - Channel 6) and -76 (5GHZ - Channel 149)
  • WVC210 reports a Signal Strength of -69dBm      (Status/Wireless), connected to channel 11  - Camera is less      responsive than in the office location, but is      responsive.    Removing the antenna my signal strenght      drops to -76dBm and
  • When I started this tread, the camera was reporting      -80dBm and now we're at -67dBm.

I've moved the camera to a location where I wanted it to monitor a portion of my property.  It is located between the two access points (roughly 15' through walls) and I found that my signal strength, as reported by the camera, drops to -70dBm.

A friend of mine, who purchased the camera at the same time, has it running in his home.  His signal strength is -42dBm, consistently..

My observations are as follow:

• I'm not seeing any overlap of 2.4GHzand 5GHz channels,      as reported by inSSIDer.
  • The Signal strength, as reported by the camera, is over      32db lower in the same location than is being reported by InSSIDer.
  • When the signal strength (as reported by the camera)      gets below -55dBm, the camera and web-interfact become unresponsive.
  • My friend who has an identical camera, has much      stronger signal strength (reported by the camera) than does my camera in a      similiar setting.

I'm a bit reluctant to post detailed information about my home network to a open forum, however if you need more information, I'm happy to provide it off-line via e-mail.

From my earlier exprience, as well as what I've learned about my network using inSSIDer, I still suspect the wireless capabilities of the WVC210, however I'm open to any suggestions / observations you may have...

Regards,

Glenn

Highlighted

Thanks for the details info.

If you have taken the antennas off and on a couple of times, make sure that they are good and snug. If you are using the wireless the antennas should be on.

Based on what I am seeing here, I would suggest calling into the support center and getting a ticket opened. Save this information and please give it to the answering engineer. I feel comfortable saying that based on your warranty entitlement we should probably go ahead and see about getting a replacement for you. But lets see what any additional troubleshooting with one of the engineers shows us.

Thanks

Eric Moyers    .:|:.:|:.

Cisco Small Business US STAC Advanced Support Engineer

CCNA, CCNA-Wireless

866-606-1866 ext 601027

Mon - Fri 09:00 - 18:00 (UTC - 05:00)