cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

34 Cisco SG200-18 switches with LC Single Mode Fiber SFP's - Core switch selection?

bbillimoria
Level 1
Level 1

Hi all,

We have a project in which we are using 34 Cisco SG200-18's each with a MGBLX1 (LC Single Mode Fiber) SFP mini-GBIC.

All the fiber's come back to one building where we must "bridge" all 34 fiber connections. What hardware should be used to accomplish this? A L2 switch? For example, a 12 port SFP Switch with Fiber SFP's accepting the first 12 fiber connections, then other switch with SFP for the next 12 and so on, until there is a overall capacity of 36 and having patch cables between the 3 switches?

Can you advise on what cisco or non cisco hardware would work with these SF200-18's to accomplish this?

9 Replies 9

Tom Watts
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi Bill, most deployments I've seen which are similar use a patch panel then run a single fiber to the core switch.

-Tom
Please rate helpful posts

-Tom Please mark answered for helpful posts http://blogs.cisco.com/smallbusiness/

Thanks for the response Thomas,

So from a patch panel would the core switch be an L2 Switch?

Would multiple patch panels such as the Blackbox JPM380A work with the TP-Link TL-SG5412F with LC GBIC as the "Core Switch"?

Bill, the kind of switch in the network depends on your needs. L2 switch is much faster than a L3 switch, however, in a true model, your core should be layer 3 switching. The Sg200 is a good access layer switch and it is a L2 switch only. I wouldn't recommend a Sg200 as your core especially with 30+ switches soon to be interconnecting, you may want a Catalyst for this.

I would be hesitant to make a 3rd party product recommendation. The JPM380A looks pretty good. I'm not sure your rack requirements or placement needs. I'm not sure how heavy duty the TP-LINK switch is. But, it appears to be  L2 switch, I hope you have a very beefy router if you're planning any VLAN traffic.

-Tom

-Tom Please mark answered for helpful posts http://blogs.cisco.com/smallbusiness/

Thanks again for the reply Tom,

The network utilizing these switches will not be segmenting into any variety of VLAN's, this will essentially be one single LAN all the way up to the CORE switch, after which it may link to a larger overall IT infrastructure.

So if I understand correctly, the Cisco SG200 is perfect at the access level (one switch in 34 buildings) as it is used now, outfited with fiber gbics (LC/Single Mode) going back to a centralized location (in another building).

Is there a cisco/non 3rd party fiber patch panel product you could recommend to unify these 34 individual LC single mode fibers?

Also is the fiber patch panel by nature a multiplexer? and each port can act and work as a inflow of connections or outflow as would be thecase of a fiber cable patched from the patch panel to the core switch (Catalyst switch with GBIC).

Also any Catalyst switch in mind as this is a simple LAN type architecture with no VLAN's are special filtering requirements.

Greatly appreciate your input thus far.

Thanks again for the reply Tom,

The  network utilizing these switches will not be segmenting into any  variety of VLAN's, this will essentially be one single LAN all the way  up to the CORE switch, after which it may link to a larger overall IT  infrastructure.

So if I understand correctly, the Cisco SG200 is  perfect at the access level (one switch in 34 buildings) as it is used  now, outfited with fiber gbics (LC/Single Mode) going back to a  centralized location (in another building).

I think this is a fair deployment that shouldn't overwhelm the units

Is  there a cisco/non 3rd party fiber patch panel product you could  recommend to unify these 34 individual LC single mode fibers? Also  is the fiber patch panel by nature a multiplexer? and each port can act  and work as a inflow of connections or outflow as would be thecase of a  fiber cable patched from the patch panel to the core switch (Catalyst  switch with GBIC).

SB product line does not have any patch panels. I would be hesitant to make a recommendation for this. To the best of my knowledge a patch panel wouldn't act as a MUX unless you specifically buy such a unit. The panels are basically layer 1 connectivity giving more ports to make things work. The best thing would be to talk to a local fiber distributor and try to spec out your needs best as possible

Also any Catalyst switch in mind as this is a simple LAN type architecture with no VLAN's are special filtering requirements.

A Catalyst 3560 or 3750 would probably be sufficient to carry the user requirement

Greatly appreciate your input thus far.

-Tom

Thank you Tom,

Turns out we may not need to provide the "patch panel" as we will likely use an existing one provided by the primary telecom provider and just have a patch over fiber to our core switch.

Based on your recommendation, I am looking at using the following:

CISCO WS-C3560-8PC-S 10/100Mbps + 1000Mbps Switch /w PoE

CISCO RCKMNT-19-CMPCT= Rack Mount Kit

+ SFP/GBIC for correlating LC fiber type, seems like a GLC-LH-SM

The POE feature won't be required. Does this CORE switch option sound plausable?

Also is there a any good way to confirm we are providing the correct SFP for the fiber type in use? Recommended questions to ask to determine what specifications are required?

Here is a very helpful post about capacities with a 3560.

https://supportforums.cisco.com/message/3453082

-Tom

You want to terminate 32 fibre optic connections into a 3560CG with 8 ports???

I'd be looking into a 3750X-24S stacked to another 3750X-12S.  This will bring you a total of a minimum of 36 SFP ports.  I say minimum because you can add a module which will give you, per 3750X unit, either 2 x 10 Gbps (SFP+) or 4 x 1Gbps (SFP) or a combination of 2 x SFP and 1 x SFP+.

The 3750X, by default, is a Layer 2 switch.  You add a license key (in the future) and it'll become a Layer 3 switch.

One thing about Catalyst switches is a high re-sale value.  If the price is too steep, check out Cisco Refurbished Equipment.

Hi leoloahoo/all,

Is there any sort of Cisco or otherwise Fiber Patch Panel (series of two etc) that could be stacked to unify the 32 connections to then just tap into a Catalyst with one fiber patch cable?

I do apologize, as I am still unclear how multiple fiber cables are typically unified, is there such thing as a fiber switch (or is this where the sfp's allow for this type of functionality) or is this where a "Fiber Patch Panel" is used (assuming there is one that acts like a hub)?

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Switch products supported in this community
Cisco Business Product Family
  • CBS110
  • CBS220
  • CBS250
  • CBS350
Cisco Switching Product Family
  • 350X
  • 550X