Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

500 Series Stacking Question

I'm sure this is a silly question, but I wasn't able to find a definitive answer elsewhere.

If I have two stack cables connected between two SG500-series switches, it my effective link speed between the two devices 2000Mbps in each direction, or does one of the stack cables sit idle waiting for a failure?

5 Replies 5

Tom Watts
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

One the stack cables is idle.

-Tom Please mark answered for helpful posts http://blogs.cisco.com/smallbusiness/

Thanks.  As a followup, if I had a stack connection and a trunk connection between the two switches, then would my effective link speed between the two be 2000Mbps, or would the stack link be only used for management in that case?  I'm trying to see if I can increase my bandwidth between the two switches using only two cables already in place.

Hi Chris, when the unit is stacked, all units in the stack behave as one unit. If you run a wire between switches while in a stack spanning tree will shut down a port. The only thing you can do for stack is using the 5 gig and 10 gig port options and the appropriate wiring for it.

-Tom Please mark answered for helpful posts http://blogs.cisco.com/smallbusiness/

It appears that the latest firmware update (1.4.x) enables LAG on the stack links so that a pair of stack cables between the devices would allow for 2000Mbps bandwidth in each direction.  Am I reading the release notes correctly?

Hi Christopher,

Indeed with 1.4 release you will have stacking interface LAG. It would just follow the same algorithm as any other LAG, so dividing traffic basing on src dst IP MAC address. Overall performance should increase.

Regards,

Aleksandra

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Switch products supported in this community
Cisco Business Product Family
  • CBS110
  • CBS220
  • CBS250
  • CBS350
Cisco Switching Product Family
  • 350X
  • 550X