Views
Helpful
Replies

A recommendation for Cisco layer 3 switch

m_tikshuv1
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

I need A recommendation for switch 10/100/1000/100g layer 3.

I need to know what feathers that need to be on the switch?

Regard's

Michel V

10 Replies 10

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

What is your budget? 

100 Gbps????  Is this a serious question or is this for school work?

Ha Ha..

I was wrong. I meant 10g.The budget is not a problem.

Michel

Hello Michel,

Thank you for visiting the Cisco Support Community!

If you are looking for a switch that best fits your needs, I think the model comparison tool could be very helpful. Cisco's small business switches are listed in the link below. If you click on the desired switch, there will be a model comparison tool (on the left hand side and on the bottom of the page). This tool will provide you with details about the models you have selected to compare, allowing you to make an informed decision. 

Cisco Model Comparison Tool

If this post was helpful, please remember to mark this question as resolved to help others in the community. If you have any further questions regarding Cisco’s small business products, please do not hesitate to ask!

Best,

LP

you have platform 3k, 4k, 6k and nexus switches....

you need a CORE SWITCH DISTRIBUTION (for example 6K) or a Switch L3 for basic routing???

10G copper, you do not have many options. Only nexus.

Fiber. more options with SFP and X2 module.

Please check the link below . A complete list of switches supprting 10G. From 3560 to 6500.

http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/interfaces_modules/transceiver_modules/compatibility/matrix/10GE_Tx_Matrix.html

Hope it helps,

Masoud

Joseph W. Doherty
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Disclaimer

The Author of this posting offers the information contained within this posting without consideration and with the reader's understanding that there's no implied or expressed suitability or fitness for any purpose. Information provided is for informational purposes only and should not be construed as rendering professional advice of any kind. Usage of this posting's information is solely at reader's own risk.

Liability Disclaimer

In no event shall Author be liable for any damages whatsoever (including, without limitation, damages for loss of use, data or profit) arising out of the use or inability to use the posting's information even if Author has been advised of the possibility of such damage.

Posting

"I need to know what feathers that need to be on the switch?"

For a recommendation, you need to tell us more about your switch's requirements.  So far, you've only asked for L3.

Sanjib Pradhan
Level 1
Level 1

Hi Michel,

Cisco L3 has different models, first look at your budget, area to install, license to enable required feature. We have platform 3k, 4k, 6k and nexus switches. All devices have significant features and licenses. Please select one of the model based on your requirement.

Regards,

Sanjib Pradhan

Spooster IT Services

ahmad1982
Level 1
Level 1

General answer for your general question, go with 3850s

R, 

AM

Saji Thomas
Level 1
Level 1

I assume that you are looking for a switch that has atleast 2 x 10 GB uplink ports. 

The reason I assume is because buying a switch with all 10 GB ports is not of much use because you will have bottle necks at the server or the user device end. Almost all the user devices are 1 GB port so connecting them to 10 GB port is not going to help. If you have 10 GB uplink then that makes sense as the backbone can pass more traffic.

Cisco Catalyst 4948 10 Gigabit Ethernet (2 x 10 GB ports, total 48)
Cisco Catalyst 4900M (24 x 10 GB ports, total 48)

http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/products/collateral/switches/catalyst-4900-series-switches/product_data_sheet0900aecd80246552.html

Hope this helps!!

laurencemiller
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

I personally would recommend the Cisco Catalyst 3850 Series Switches. They support up to 4 10GB SFPs and have great redundancy. The exact specifications can be seen below:

• 12- and 24-port 1 GE SFP or 1/10 GE SFP+ models
  • Five optional uplink modules with 4 x GE, 2 x 10 GE, 4 x 10 GE, 8 x 10 GE or 2 x 40 GE QSFP+ ports
  • Cisco StackWise-480 technology to provide scalability and resiliency with 480 Gbps of stack throughput
  • Cisco StackPower technology
  • Dual redundant, modular power supplies and three modular fans

Regards,

Laurence