Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

ARP Entry in a switch

Ho to get an ARP entry to a switch manually ?

4 Replies 4

Davidwagman1
Level 7
Level 7

Hi Rajtilak,

What switch are you using?

If it is a small business switch, ie SG200, SG300 etc do you use the CLI or GUI?

From CLI:

From Web GUI:

go to IP Configuration -> ARP then click add:

Remember to save your config changes.  Hope that helps.

Best,

David

Please rate helpful posts and identify correct answers.

Dear David,

Thanks for the response. what i exactly want is, I wanna make my switch lean the IP address of my syste. that is to get an ARP entry . How can i do this. Also  i wanna solve situations where i know mac address of particular system but not IP because there is no ARP entry for that particular MAC. How can i get out of this situation.

Hi Rajtilak,

The ARP table is only going to be populated with hosts that are communicating with the switch. If you go into the CLI and do show mac address-table you will see all the attached hosts that are communicating through the switch. You can try pinging the IP address from the switch for the mac to show in the switch's arp table.

You can try arp -a in your PC's command prompt and that may help you match IP with MAC addr.

Best,

David

Hi,

1. Get the mac address from the interface where the host is connected using "

sh mac address-table interface x/x/x.

2. use " sh ip arp | i H.H.H   ( H.H.H --> Mac address of the Host) to find the IP address of the Mac address .

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Switch products supported in this community
Cisco Business Product Family
  • CBS110
  • CBS220
  • CBS250
  • CBS350
Cisco Switching Product Family
  • 350X
  • 550X