cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Bandwidth limited through SF302-08P switch?

netguyz08
Level 1
Level 1

Just put in an SF302-08P switch with two AP541N's. Just a Comcast modem connects into the switch along with the two WAPs, nothing else. Speedtest through the cable modem with nothing plugged into it is 48Mbps. Then connecting a single laptop via the switch shows a speedtest of 33Mbps. Then with the two AP541N's plugged in and using the same laptop over WiFi, I'd consistently seen 10Mbps for downloading. But going right back to the cable modem directly showed me close to 50Mbps in a speed test.

Have factory defaults in all the Cisco devices, and poured over the settings and it looks like bandwidth limiting is disabled. Suspecting maybe it is for QoS and to optimize voice, but I see definite places in the devices where I could designate optimizing voice and those aren't enabled. Then started thinking with tweaking the wireless frequencies, but didn't want to do anything too unstable.

Anyone else run into this? Am I missing something obvious?

-Ed

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Tom Watts
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi Ed,

This is not typical of the switch. First, please ensure the switch is on at least the 1.1.2.0 firmware, this is the most stable release. There is a new release as of this week 1.2.7.76 if you'd like to give this a go as well. After the firmware flash/upgrade, factory reset the unit.

I would recommend to start with layer 1 and layer 1 related settings. Such as port negotiation. If you check the port management, are you negotiation 10, 100, 100, full or half duplex? Do you see any kind of port flapping on the log? (link up, link down for any of the ports).Can you try to disable the EEE (energy efficient ethernet) globally and on the interface settings? If you go to the smart port section and go to interface setting, does it appear the smart port negotiated anything with the modem?

-Tom

-Tom Please mark answered for helpful posts http://blogs.cisco.com/smallbusiness/

View solution in original post

2 Replies 2

Tom Watts
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi Ed,

This is not typical of the switch. First, please ensure the switch is on at least the 1.1.2.0 firmware, this is the most stable release. There is a new release as of this week 1.2.7.76 if you'd like to give this a go as well. After the firmware flash/upgrade, factory reset the unit.

I would recommend to start with layer 1 and layer 1 related settings. Such as port negotiation. If you check the port management, are you negotiation 10, 100, 100, full or half duplex? Do you see any kind of port flapping on the log? (link up, link down for any of the ports).Can you try to disable the EEE (energy efficient ethernet) globally and on the interface settings? If you go to the smart port section and go to interface setting, does it appear the smart port negotiated anything with the modem?

-Tom

-Tom Please mark answered for helpful posts http://blogs.cisco.com/smallbusiness/

Tom,

Looks like the firmware update hit the nail on the head. I updated it in the switch and it was like night and day. The speed test matched what I did directly in the modem, too. I went ahead and updated the firmware in the AP541N's as well and I was getting about 3x the speed through WiFi in a bandwidth test than I was the day before.

Left the other settings alone for now.

-Ed