cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

BiDirectional Single mode fiber SFP

dennylester
Level 1
Level 1

I have been trying to track down a pair of SFP's to run bi-directionally over a single strand of single mode fiber. I found this model MFEBX1 that will TX at 1310nm and RX at 1550nm, but I haven't been able to find the matching SFP that will TX at 1550nm and RX at 1310nm.

Does anyone have a part number they can point me to?

Denny

7 Replies 7

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

You're probably talking about the GLC-2BX-D.

2-channel 1000BASE-BX10-D for Single-Fiber Bidirectional Applications

The 2-channel 1000BASE-BX-D SFP module, also known as Compact SFP, integrates two IEEE 802.3ah 1000BASE-BX10-D interfaces in one SFP module. The GLC-2BX-D is always connected to two 1000BASE-BX10-U interfaces over two single strands of standard SMF with an operating transmission range up to 10km.

GLC-2BX-D is designed to connect to any standard-based Customer Premises Equipment (CPE) in FTTx links

Do be careful if this is the case because not alot of Cisco appliances support this module.  Please read the list below to determine which ones you can/can't use the SFP on.

Cisco Gigabit Ethernet Transceiver Modules Compatibility Matrix

Nope, it was MFEBX1 that I was looking at.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/modules/ps4999/products_qanda_item09186a0080abed87.shtml

Chart seems to indicate it transmits at one nm and receives on another. My current thinking is there has to be a matching unit. Perhaps my thinking is flawed, wouldn't be the first time.

I am needing something that can do bidirectional communication in a Cisco 300 series switch. Perhaps I need to go third party :-(

Denny

Ohhhh ... I think I get you.

You want CWDM/DWDM!

You want to "split" a single strand of single-mode fibre into different "channels" or color.

Same thing/same link.  Look at the link I've provided and do a "search" for "WDM" and you'll find them.

Yes, I believe that is the correct term for what I am looking for. The link you provided seems to apply to the enterprise class equipment (Catalyst's, ISR, etc). Any idea about the Small Business equipment (300 series switch)?

Thank you,

Denny

Any idea about the Small Business equipment (300 series switch)?

I have no idea.  I had a check at the link below and the answer is a "no".

Cisco MFE and MGE SFP Transceivers Cisco Small Business Network Accessories

I believe I found them. They're not Cisco branded, but www.sfpex.com has them under the Linksys section of their site. Other part number is MFEBX1-1550.

Sure wish I could find Cisco branded ones.

Thank you,

Denny

Sure wish I could find Cisco branded ones.

You can but it won't work for SMB switches.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Switch products supported in this community
Cisco Business Product Family
  • CBS110
  • CBS220
  • CBS250
  • CBS350
Cisco Switching Product Family
  • 350X
  • 550X