cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Buffalo Linkstation not connecting to SLM2024

richard.lucy
Level 1
Level 1

I have recently installed an SLM2024 Gigabit switch. We have a mixture of devices on the switch, desktops, servers, printers, wireless access points and all are working ok. We also have four Buffalo Linkstations with Gigabit Ethernet. Each linkstation has a DHCP reservation but when connected to the SLM2024 the ip address is not issued and the linkstation is not accessible as the default ip address is used by the devices. When the linkstations are connected to a Netgear switch they work as expected. The SLM2024 was purchased to replace the Netgear as it only has 2 gigabit ports.

I have not made any changes to the SLM2024 configuration. Any ideas?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Hi Richard,

Are all four Buffalo Linkstations showing the same symptoms when connected to my SLM2024  or is only one device having a issue with connectivity.

The second screen capture that you pasted shows that ZERO ethernet frames are seen coming in from the Buffalo Linkstation.  This is not good.

If all four Buffalo Linkstations are not working when connected to the SLM2024, I would think there is most likely a problem with the way we auto-negotiate the ethernet link between the switch and the NAS.

Most likely you have checked Buffalo for a software update for the linkstation, I notice that Buffalo had new software out just over a month ago for the linkstation.  If you haven't got the new software on the Buffalo Linkstation, now is a great time to update the code.

It would be useful to to take the Buffalo Linkstation off my switch and connected it into another device maybe like the old netgear switch.

It may be that we, according to what i saw in your screen capture 1 above, turn off ethernet  port auto-negotiation or untick autonegotiation  on my switch and fix or set the port speed to 1000 Full Duplex on both  my switch port and the Buffalo Linkstation and see if connectivity then works.  Make sure you save changes on my switch.

So, steps we can try;

1.  check for Linkstation software updates and apply them,

2.  If that doesn't get received port counters to increment, remove ethernet autonegotiation on both my switch and the Buffalo Linkstation and see if this gets the packets flowing.

[ note:  I have highlighted the word both to indicate that if auto-negotiation of ethernet ports is turned off at one end of a ethernet link it must be turned off at the other end of the ethernet link as well]

regards Dave

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4

David Hornstein
Level 7
Level 7

Hi Richard,

The Buffalo manual suggests for the linkstation;

If the LINK/ACT LED on the front of LinkStation is lit, your LinkStation is connected properly.

If the LINK/ACT LED is not lit, make sure that:

•  Both LinkStation and the switch or PC are powered on.

•  The Ethernet Cable is securely fastened to both devices.

•  The Ethernet Cable is not damaged; verify this by trying another Ethernet Cable.

If the link light is not properly lit, Buffalo suggest the following, contact;

Web:   www.buffalotech.com

E-mail:   info@buffalotech.com

Telephone: (866)-752-6210 (USA & Canada only

But the manual leaves alot of troubleshooting out,  is the link/act light flashing who knows, port statistics on the switch port will tell you if packets are TX and RX out the switch port to the linkstation.

1.    It would be interesting to see a screen captures of linkstation's SLM switch port statistics.

(This will tell me if the switch port is receiving and sending traffic in and out of the switch port)

2.  It would be interesting to see a screen capture of the linkststation's  SLM  port status.

(This will tell me if the linkstation has negotiated link speed and duplex correctly)

There is a process mentioned at the  buffalo support page that illustrates how to directly connect a PC to the linkstation.  But I guess if your PC can communicate using the Buffalo easysetup utility, you can  manually configure the IP and Ethernet settings onto the unit.

Sounds like setting up  a port mirror would be useful to see the DHCP and ethernet interaction to the Linkstation.

So far there are two things to reply with, port status and port statistics.

3.  Why not use the SLM to port mirror the linkstation port and capture the DHCP process via a free  tool called wireshark.  

4.  Please reply with a short wireshark capture ?

Good luck and seasons greetings,

regards Dave

Hi Dave, thanks for the quick response.

Screen shots of port config and statistics attached.

The link/ACT light on the linkstation is lit and the Linkstation Navigator Utility recognises the Linkstation is on the network but I cannot connect to it when it has the non-DHCP assigned IP Address as it is on a different subnet.

I'm afraid I would need some more help/time with setting up the port mirror and wireshark log.

Regards,

Richard

Hi Richard,

Are all four Buffalo Linkstations showing the same symptoms when connected to my SLM2024  or is only one device having a issue with connectivity.

The second screen capture that you pasted shows that ZERO ethernet frames are seen coming in from the Buffalo Linkstation.  This is not good.

If all four Buffalo Linkstations are not working when connected to the SLM2024, I would think there is most likely a problem with the way we auto-negotiate the ethernet link between the switch and the NAS.

Most likely you have checked Buffalo for a software update for the linkstation, I notice that Buffalo had new software out just over a month ago for the linkstation.  If you haven't got the new software on the Buffalo Linkstation, now is a great time to update the code.

It would be useful to to take the Buffalo Linkstation off my switch and connected it into another device maybe like the old netgear switch.

It may be that we, according to what i saw in your screen capture 1 above, turn off ethernet  port auto-negotiation or untick autonegotiation  on my switch and fix or set the port speed to 1000 Full Duplex on both  my switch port and the Buffalo Linkstation and see if connectivity then works.  Make sure you save changes on my switch.

So, steps we can try;

1.  check for Linkstation software updates and apply them,

2.  If that doesn't get received port counters to increment, remove ethernet autonegotiation on both my switch and the Buffalo Linkstation and see if this gets the packets flowing.

[ note:  I have highlighted the word both to indicate that if auto-negotiation of ethernet ports is turned off at one end of a ethernet link it must be turned off at the other end of the ethernet link as well]

regards Dave

Hi Dave,

We both had the same thought.

I have upgraded the firmware on the 4 linkstations and moved two of them back to the SLM2024 and they are now working.

Thanks very much for your assistance.

Regards,

Richard

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Switch products supported in this community
Cisco Business Product Family
  • CBS110
  • CBS220
  • CBS250
  • CBS350
Cisco Switching Product Family
  • 350X
  • 550X