Views
Helpful
Replies

Cannot connect to switch

khouck
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

I have two Cisco Sg500-52 switches. On Friday, we had a security camera company come in and the guy wanted the default gateway changed. While I was changing it, the web interface crashed and I was no longer able to access it. I tried connecting to it through the serial cable, but no luck. How can I fix this while avoiding a hard factory reset?

2 Replies 2

athorn001
Level 1
Level 1

For the Serial interface, sometimes hard coding the speed to 115200/9600 fixed my issue (While using Putty and the COM interface). Sometimes it doesn't negotiate the speed properly. Also, stupid suggestion, make sure you're using the correct COM port on your computer. I've done that before.

Does your security subnet have a VLAN interface on the switch? Unplug a device from security vlan subnet, and try to access it via that. Otherwise, if you have a management subnet and you have it trunked.. You could try an untagged management interface on a different switch and attempt to access it that way.

Like if you have Switch -> SG500 (Trunked for Management, Access, and Security VLANs)
On the switch before it, make a untagged port whatever your management VLAN is, and you should in theory be able to talk to it.

Boudewijn Plomp
Level 1
Level 1

If you did not save the running-config to the startup-config you can safely power-off the switch and reboot is. It will then load your previous configuration from the startup-config.

NOTE: Keep in mind that any changes mades after your first save to the startup-config are lost.