Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Cannot Reach Management Vlan

Hi Guys,

In one of my client location I have deployed one Cisco 3560X (core switch) and one SG-200-18 (access switch). I’ve configured three vlans (vlan 2, vlan 3 and management vlan 1), relevant trunking and I’ve connected two pc to the access switch to vlan 2 and 3 respectively. So far everything (including inter-vlan communication) works fine, except that I couldn’t reach the vlan 1 (management vlan) devices (access switch and core switch) from any pc which is connected to either vlan 2 or 3.

I’ve configured the “port VLAN membership” settings in SG-300 as follows,

Interface                             mode                    Administrative vlans                      Operational vlans

GE 2                                       Access                                  2UP                                                        2UP

GE 3                                       Access                                  3UP                                                        2UP

GE18                                      Trunk                                    1UP, 2T,3T                                           1UP,2T,3T

Need some assistance on this.

Regards,

Suthakar

4 Replies 4

Tom Watts
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi, it sounds like you did not set a default gateway on the switch.

-Tom
Please mark answered for helpful posts

-Tom Please mark answered for helpful posts http://blogs.cisco.com/smallbusiness/

Hi Tom,

Layer 2 mode i don't think we can assign a default gateway for a switch, isn't it?

I've assigned two managment vlan ip address for both switches as follows,

core - 172.161.1

access - 172.16.1.2 (SG-300)

My management vlan is - vlan 01

Suthakar

Hi Suthakar, yes you can and have to assign a default gateway, even to a layer 2 switch if you want a different subnet to have management access.

But additionally, in a layer 2 environment, you will also need something to intervlan route for you. The layer 2 switch will not let vlans communicate to any other vlan but their own.

-Tom
Please mark answered for helpful posts

-Tom Please mark answered for helpful posts http://blogs.cisco.com/smallbusiness/

simon.darch
Level 1
Level 1

I have a similar problem, my core switch cat 3560 feeds 8 switches I have t
5 vlans 9 management, 100 voice 134 and 135 after adding a new etherchannel to the core the switch is functioning but I cannot manage it from anywhere via the GUI, only by direct connection, all other switches are functional, I was wondering if I have to make the port channel as a default of the management vlans 9 to make this work, don't want to try in case I
Break it

Sent from Cisco Technical Support Android App