cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Announcements

CISCO SWITCHES FOR SMALL and MEDIUM BUSINESS

Introducing the next generation of Cisco Small and Medium Business Switches. Cisco is refreshing its SMB Switch portfolio. Click here  to learn more.

Views
Helpful
Replies
Highlighted

Cannot Reach Management Vlan

Hi Guys,

In one of my client location I have deployed one Cisco 3560X (core switch) and one SG-200-18 (access switch). I’ve configured three vlans (vlan 2, vlan 3 and management vlan 1), relevant trunking and I’ve connected two pc to the access switch to vlan 2 and 3 respectively. So far everything (including inter-vlan communication) works fine, except that I couldn’t reach the vlan 1 (management vlan) devices (access switch and core switch) from any pc which is connected to either vlan 2 or 3.

I’ve configured the “port VLAN membership” settings in SG-300 as follows,

Interface                             mode                    Administrative vlans                      Operational vlans

GE 2                                       Access                                  2UP                                                        2UP

GE 3                                       Access                                  3UP                                                        2UP

GE18                                      Trunk                                    1UP, 2T,3T                                           1UP,2T,3T

Need some assistance on this.

Regards,

Suthakar

4 REPLIES 4
Highlighted
Advocate

Hi, it sounds like you did not set a default gateway on the switch.

-Tom
Please mark answered for helpful posts

-Tom Please mark answered for helpful posts http://blogs.cisco.com/smallbusiness/
Highlighted

Hi Tom,

Layer 2 mode i don't think we can assign a default gateway for a switch, isn't it?

I've assigned two managment vlan ip address for both switches as follows,

core - 172.161.1

access - 172.16.1.2 (SG-300)

My management vlan is - vlan 01

Suthakar

Highlighted

Hi Suthakar, yes you can and have to assign a default gateway, even to a layer 2 switch if you want a different subnet to have management access.

But additionally, in a layer 2 environment, you will also need something to intervlan route for you. The layer 2 switch will not let vlans communicate to any other vlan but their own.

-Tom
Please mark answered for helpful posts

-Tom Please mark answered for helpful posts http://blogs.cisco.com/smallbusiness/
Highlighted
Beginner

I have a similar problem, my core switch cat 3560 feeds 8 switches I have t
5 vlans 9 management, 100 voice 134 and 135 after adding a new etherchannel to the core the switch is functioning but I cannot manage it from anywhere via the GUI, only by direct connection, all other switches are functional, I was wondering if I have to make the port channel as a default of the management vlans 9 to make this work, don't want to try in case I
Break it

Sent from Cisco Technical Support Android App