Views
Helpful
Replies

cannot see Synology NAS behind SG300 switch

retrogradeturn
Level 1
Level 1

Hello

Laptop connects to port 4, NAS to port 2.

MAC address of NAS shows up along with laptop MAC. I'm guessing there is some additional steps to take to set this up but still in the dark after many attempts at just trying to find the IP address.

Thanks in advance.

7 Replies 7

KJK99
Level 3
Level 3

@retrogradeturn 

Are the laptop and Synology NAS getting IP addresses from the switch's DHCP server? Have you tried the 'soft reset' of your Synology NAS?

Kris K

Thank you, Kris, for your reply.

Laptop eth0 config on Linux laptop has manual address, 192.168.1.201 that allows for a connection to the switch. That's the only way I can connect to it, local-link doesn't cut it and neither does DHCP in the connection config.

As for the NAS, not sure how its IP is allocated, and have reset the NAS. Synology states the IP as 192.168.1.1 and am able to connect to the NAS directly, but only the MAC address of the NAS appears when looking at the switch. If there's a way to determine the IP from the MAC address then I'm in luck.

Thanks again / r g

balaji.bandi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

how is your port config looks like, if the smartport enabled disable and test it.

BB

***** Rate All Helpful Responses *****

How to Ask The Cisco Community for Help

Thank you, BB, for your reply. Smartport disabled, can still get MAC address but no IP associated with it.

Thanks again / r g

Oh where is your DHCP ? is this only issue NAS, how about user device get IP from DHCP Server ?

can you post below out from switch :

show run

show ip arp

BB

***** Rate All Helpful Responses *****

How to Ask The Cisco Community for Help

Thank you again for your reply. Unfortunately I'm having issues with the SHOW command. It's not being installed and there's a PATH problem and I don't know how to fix it. I've tried looking for a solution and have apparently found some, several [how to fix the 'command not found" problem] but I am unable to make heads or tails of it. So, I am not able to post the output from the "show" command.

KJK99
Level 3
Level 3

@retrogradeturn 

What is the IP address of the switch? If you can access the NAS directly, you can change its IP address to something different than 192.168.1.1. Depending on how the switch is configured, you may see IP addresses of other devices in its ARP table.

Kris K