Views
Helpful
Replies

CBS250 - Seperating out a guest WIFI without vlan capabale router

RWX13
Level 1
Level 1

Hello All,

Considering getting a CBS250 to implement a completely separate Guest WIFI on my existing network, which is currently all just a /24. Current internet is provided from a router providing DHCP for a /24 network and NATing. Under normal circumstances We could just VLAN it out to a separate network, but the router is not capable of additional vlans, which limits that plan.

Could 802.1q tagging be used to filter out the ports that specifically connect to the wireless AP? I am thinking 3 separate vlans will be needed.

the port to the router to be added to vlans 1-3 and tagged as vlan 1

the port to the AP added to vlans 1 and 3, and tagged as 3

the port to the rest of the hardwired network added to vlans 1 and 2, and tagged as 2.

In theory any traffic coming in through the AP or LAN ports will be tagged with the respective vlan and not allowed to cross over, but be allowed out to the router. Is that a possible solution suing the CBS250? or is their a better alternative that I am overlooking that it can provide?

1 Reply 1

balaji.bandi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

CBS250  - its just Switch make network segmenting each VLAN as a separate network, this does not have capabilities to do NAT here, so if you have any other device upstream does that work, this switch as Layer 2 switch then can be duable.

BB

***** Rate All Helpful Responses *****

How to Ask The Cisco Community for Help