Helpful
Replies

CBS350-24P-4X Rackmount disalignment

florida1024
Level 1
Level 1

Hi community,

I'm a bit confused...

I recently got a CBS350-24P-4X 1U managed switch, which comes with a wall-mount/rack-mount (I guess?) kit and I'm wondering, how I could manage to install this kit onto the device in order to align the rackmount-ears to the device's front?

The drilled screw holes would only allow a ~1 inch (2.5 cm) disalignment towards the rack front or am I missing here something?!

Please give me some advice,

Flo

80 Replies 80

Based in the US. Probably not cost effective to ship them from Germany.

Your brackets look great. I also just made my own ones since i heard nothing from cisco and even on the new production run from last month the brackets are still the old ones. So i don't expect Cisco to change them at all.

I bought some standard rack mounts and drilled recessed holes that fit the cisco switch so i am fine at the moment, but also would be interested in the ones you made (because they look really good) in case i buy another switch.

It's kinda sad, that cisco won't provide them...

Hey,

I just ran into the same problem and saw your brackets. Great!

Where are you in Germany?
Would you still be willing to produce a set and send them?
Have you figured out a price?

Best regards,

Guido

Hi,

we're still able to connect you to our partner. They can produce them from quantity 1 (or 2).

I'll text you via direct message.

Best,

Roland

PLUS
Level 1
Level 1

I think the reason for that is that those switch series (the new Cisco small business 250 and 350 series) can be quite deep. In small form rack that could be a problem, so I'm OK with that, it's strange to see but I have no problem about it.

I have a different kind of problem: the switch won't fit in a lot of racks about how LARGE is it. A recent example, I replace some SG300 with brand new CBS350 and I had some serious bad time to fit them. Had to force the rack staff to enlarge a little. 

I love those switches, but that is becoming a real problem. I can't spend hours to install a switch because it won't fit normally. And I'm talking about racks full of equipment installed by me without any problems.

That happens also to others?

Mzt834
Level 1
Level 1

I'm waiting to buy 10 CBS350 series switches until Cisco resolves the bracket issue.

If Cisco doesn't acknowledge and provide flush-type brackets, I'll have to replace several racks packed with equipment. But I'll wait until next year to see what happens.

A local metal shop made 14 custom brackets for me for 7 CBS switches.

Two CSB switches mounted in the back of racks didn't need them. They needed the stock brackets because the back of switches wouldn't fit with equipment mounted in the front of the rack.

But most of the other CBS switches needed the custom brackets.

Here are pics. The larger holes are for ventilation.

Cisco CBS custom rack mount TOP.jpeg

Cisco CBS custom rack mount - angle.jpeg

Cisco CBS custom rack mount - BACK.jpeg

The front of the CBS isn't perfectly lined up with the custom bracket because the 90°bend is different with the custom bracket's single layer of metal compared to the stock bracket's double-layer. But the custom brackets do the job.

Here are better photos (updated May 13, 2022):

Screen Shot 2022-05-13 at 6.39.32 PM.pngScreen Shot 2022-05-13 at 6.40.06 PM.png

DON'T CONTACT HIM WITHOUT LETTING ME KNOW FIRST. 

HE WON'T BE ABLE TO PULL THE JOB FILE WITHOUT MY NAME. LIKE US, HE TOO IS VERY, VERY BUSY. HE DOESN'T TAKE KINDLY TO IDLE CHIT CHAT.

Here's the metal worker's contact info:

Fred Mork handled my order.

WALTER MORK CO (since 1909)

2418 – 6th Street

Berkeley, CA 94710 

USA
Hours: 7:30-3:00 M-F (PDT)

info (at) waltermork (dot) com

NOTA BENE: Walter Mork's policy doesn't let other customers replicate an order on file without permission of the original customer (me). I asked him to allow it but he won't. So I'll have to give him permission for you to use my job file. The job file is under my name and includes one Cisco stock bracket, one or two custom brackets and the machine specs they used.

I don't want to put my name and email here, but if you can direct message me, I'll give Walter Mork permission for you to use my job file. If you can't direct message me, post here and we'll figure out another way (maybe I'll post a temp email here).

I recommend ordering extras. They're almost all exactly the same but one's countersunk holes were positioned slightly off. That one worked but the switch was a little crooked so I replaced it with one of the other custom brackets since I didn't need all of them.

Cost: not cheap!

Maybe the high hourly cost for the initial design from my cardboard mockup with some measurements won't be included for subsequent runs, but I don't really know.

I paid $550 for 14. That's about $39/each ($78 per switch).

Hi ,

My name is Nikola Butlev and I'm Cisco Engineer.

Have you tried with different fasteners. 

About the screws:

The rack screws should have  these dimensions: 

* Diameter of the screw head: 6.9 mm 

* Length of face of screw head to base of screw: 5.9 mm 

* Shaft diameter: 3.94 mm

There is only one way to attach the brackets that came with this switch and it causes the switch to protrude from the rack. I had to buy bracket blanks and drill them to make it work for our rack.

If Cisco had supplied brackets that were adjustable then customers would not be complaining here this much.

Thanks for you reply.

The fasters aren't the issue. The screws that came with standard Cisco mounts also work with the custom mounts. And standard rack screws work in the rack.

r1ncew1nd
Level 1
Level 1

Same problem here.

we replaced around 200 switches with the SG350 series in the past two years and were looking forward the replace aonther 200 switches of differnet brands when end of sale was announced.

I just got a new CBS switch on my table and can tell that I won't need to reconfigure our home grown managment system which is a plus point.

But can forsee that I can't close half of my rack doors if I install it with the brackets. Its not even prossible to install them deeper as it was possible witl the old 2950 series.

Please Cisco give us alternative brackets!

To make the problem more frustrating.

Just unpacked a CBS350-12XT which is re-using the case desgin/brackets/screws of a SG350-28 which have the "correct" plain alignment.

Not even consistent within the series.

WHY?

driver-man
Level 1
Level 1

It's a very poor design, they could just make them longer to allow a mixture of different mounting configurations using one piece of metal.  In many of our cabs, we need the switches to be recessed by a few inches.  

We use a local metal fabricator to make sets of them for us.

Fred_vBrain
Level 1
Level 1

I just wanted to pull the trigger of 3 CBS switches but then found this thread. Does anybody know what the reason for this "misalignment" was? Any info about if Cisco is changing it? If not I need to look somewhere else for switches.

bustedware
Level 1
Level 1

@support @Martin Aleksandrov can you help us out? does Cisco offer a flush rackmount for the CBS350-24P-4X? where do we get one?  the gap is a huge pain!

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Switch products supported in this community
Cisco Business Product Family
  • CBS110
  • CBS220
  • CBS250
  • CBS350
Cisco Switching Product Family
  • 350X
  • 550X