cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Change SG-300 from L2 to L3 mode without console cable?

cavan1975
Level 1
Level 1

Is it possible to change modes on the 300 Series from L2 to L3 without using the console cable? I can't seem to find a way.

2 Replies 2

Kevin Tomomitsu
Level 1
Level 1

We use an SF-300 instead of the SG, but you should be able to telnet to the unit to access the admin console and change the System mode to L3. You may need to change the Management Access Method > Profile Rule under the security settings to allow for things like ssh, and telnet. I believe only http and console is enabled by default but I could be wrong.

nimusell
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

Thank you for participating in the support community. My name is Nico Muselle from Cisco Sofia STAC

Kevin is right that you can use either Telnet or SSH to connect to the menu based console to change the system mode to layer 3. By default these access modes are not enabled, to enable them you should go to :

Security - TCD/UDP services : enable Telnet or SSH (whichever you find most fit in your situation)  and save the configuration.

Afterwards you can access the switch by Telnet/SSH on it's IP address.

Attention :

When you change the mode of the switch from layer 2 to layer 3, it will loose it will be reset to the default settings for layer 3, so all previously configured options will be lost.

Also, if you assign the first IP address to any VLAN, the default VLAN 1 IP address of 192.168.1.254 will be disabled.

Hope this answers your questions, if you would need any more information, please do not hesitate to ask

Best regards,

Nico Muselle

Sr. Network Engineer - CCNA

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Switch products supported in this community
Cisco Business Product Family
  • CBS110
  • CBS220
  • CBS250
  • CBS350
Cisco Switching Product Family
  • 350X
  • 550X