cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Changing SG300 from Layer 3 to Layer 2

mynameismethoz
Level 1
Level 1

Will changing an SG300 switch from Layer 3 to Layer 2 cause any significant user downtime, or any at all?  I have two 52-port SG300's and two 20-port SG300's to make this change to.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

trgood
Level 1
Level 1

Just verified in my lab that move from L3 -> L2 mode will cause a factory default of the device.  You will want to make this change during a prolonged downtime so you can recreate any lost configurations.  I recommend taking a backup as well before you make the change.

-Trent Good

** Please rate useful posts! **

-Trent Good ** Please rate useful posts! **

View solution in original post

5 Replies 5

puneelam
Level 1
Level 1

Hi

Whenever you change the mode of operations from one layer to another layer, the switch gets restarted. It takes around 30 seconds to restart.

Thanks

Punith Kumar Neelam

Please vote for the useful posts.

Brandon Svec
Level 7
Level 7

From the admin guide p.254:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/switches/lan/csbms/sf30x_sg30x/administration_guide/78-19308-01.pdf

NOTE Switching from one system mode (layer) to another (on Sx500 devices) requires a

mandatory reboot, and the startup configuration of the device is then deleted.

So, you will want to backup you config, do this in a scheduled maintenance interval and reload the config by hand.

Also realize there may be L3 commands in your config that will not apply in L2 mode.

Good luck!

-- please remember to rate and mark answered helpful posts --

trgood
Level 1
Level 1

Just verified in my lab that move from L3 -> L2 mode will cause a factory default of the device.  You will want to make this change during a prolonged downtime so you can recreate any lost configurations.  I recommend taking a backup as well before you make the change.

-Trent Good

** Please rate useful posts! **

-Trent Good ** Please rate useful posts! **

Thanks guys for the information, and the heads up about the config.  I'll make a backup config of the settings but if I restore the config I'll be back on level 3 again.  I suppose it won't be all that difficult to just redo the settings by hand and I'll keep the config handy if anything goes wrong.

thank you all very much for your help!!!!

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Switch products supported in this community
Cisco Business Product Family
  • CBS110
  • CBS220
  • CBS250
  • CBS350
Cisco Switching Product Family
  • 350X
  • 550X