cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Cisco 300 series switches with 802.3at standard

ljcool_17
Level 1
Level 1

I'm a bit confused as to which of the 300 series switches supports the 802.3at standard. According to the website, the SG300-28P supports it. But in the quick start guide for the 300 series, only the MP models (excluding the SF302-08MP and SG300-10MP) including the SG300-52P has it. Can someone give me a difinitive answer to this? Thanks!

5 Replies 5

mpyhala
Level 7
Level 7

LJ,

The model numbers that end in "PP" support 802.3at standard. Please search the Data Sheet for:

Power over Ethernet (PoE)

or

PoE+

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/partner/prod/collateral/switches/ps5718/ps10898/data_sheet_c78-610061.html

Please reply and let us know if this helps or if you have any other questions.

- Marty

Unfortunately the PP and MPP models have probably been discontinued because they are unavailable everywhere. The only ones available are the none PoE models, the PoE models, and the MP models that have higher power allocation for PoE and the only ones that support PoE+ that are available are

SF300-24MP

SG300-28MP

SG300-52P

SG300-52MP

I'm particularly interested with either the SG300-28P or SG300-28MP. It is confusing because if you go to the 300 series compare page the 28P is listed to have 802.3at compliance which is PoE+ standard.

LJ,

P    = PoE capable. On the 300 series, half of the ports can provide 15.4W, or all can provide half that.

PoE+ is NOT SUPPORTED.

MP = Maximum Power. This means that all ports can provide up to 15.4W. PoE+ is supported on some models only.

PP = PoE Plus. Can provide up to 30W on a single port. Note the maximum PoE budget for each switch. Also,

half of the ports can provide 15.4W, or all can provide half that - any extra power used by PoE+

MPP = Maximum Power and PoE Plus. This means that all ports can provide up to 15.4W - any extra power used by PoE+

According to the Data Sheet:

"Switches support 802.3at PoE+, 802.3af, and Cisco pre-standard (legacy) PoE. Maximum power of 30.0W to any 10/100 or Gigabit Ethernet port for PoE+ supported devices and 15.4W for PoE supported devices, until the PoE budget for the switch is reached"

The PoE+ models are brand new and are not widey available yet. I did a web search for SG300-28PP and found that at least a few online resellers have it in stock.

- Marty

Message was edited by: Martin Pyhala

ljcool_17
Level 1
Level 1

So the PP and MPP models support PoE+

But let me get it straight. 802.3at is PoE+ standard correct? It is listed in this quick start guide that the models 24MP, 28MP, 52P and 52MP all support 802.3at. www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/switches/lan/csbms/sf30x_sg30x/quick_start/78-19252-01.pdf

It is also mentioned that those switches can provide 30 watts to any port. Wouldn't that be PoE+?

To add to the confusion, if you go to this page www.cisco.com/c/en/us/products/switches/small-business-300-series-managed-switches/models-comparison.html and select SG300-28P and compare, 802.3at is listed in its compliant standards. The 24MP, 28MP, 52P and 52MP models though are listed to be PoE/PoE+ but doesn't mention it's complied standards.

LJ,

You are correct, I edited my last response to reflect that PoE+ is supported on some of the MP models. I'm not sure why the comparison doesn't show the standards for the listed models.

- Marty