Views
Helpful
Replies

Cisco Catalyst 4503 ->Cisco 3560 L3 -> Cisco 2960 L2 -> Cisco SMB Switch

Anup Sasikumar
Level 1
Level 1

Hi Experts ,

I am trying to add a Cisco SMB SF300 - 24 Switch to an infrastructure which has only Cisco Catalyst Switches

The Core layer is Cisco Cataylst 4503 . Distribution is Cisco Catalyst 3560 and the Access Layer is Cisco 2960 Switches.

There about 30 VLANs present in the infrastructure which is advertised to all switches using VTP. Inter VLAN routing is done at the Core Switches

by creating Interface VLANs for every L2 VLAN.

1. The new VLAN 150 needs to be created on the new Cisco SMB Switch. If I create a corresponding interface VLAN 150 on the Core Switches , will it route traffic to other VLANs just like it is currently working for Cisco Catayst 2960 Switches ?

2. Upon checking I could see that VTP is not supported on Cisco SMB Switches and I would need to go for GVRP if I need to advertise VLAN information to other Switches. But since GVRP is supported only on CatOS and there is no inter operability between GVRP and VTP , I would need to create VLANs manually on the new Switch . Is that correct ?

Please help !

Many Thanks ,

Anup

Regards,
Anup
1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

jonatrod
Level 7
Level 7

Good afternoon  Anup Sasikumar

Thanks for using our forum

My name is Johnnatan and I am part of the Small business Support community I have seen your post and I understand that you would like to configure VTP and GVRP.

I'm afraid you will have to configure manually every Vlan in each  CatOS device running GVRP, in order to  keep their vlan databases in sync. As you said, VTP is not support it in CatOS

You can try to communicate both protocols,  however I  encourage you not to follow that procedure.

About your question about intervlan routing, if you  create a corresponding interface VLAN 150 on the Core Switches it will be routed, if your configuration is correct ( access port, trunk ports, intervlan etc.)

I hope you find this answer useful, if it was satisfactory  for you, please mark the question as Answered.

Please rate helpful posts.

Greetings,

Johnnatan Rodriguez Miranda.

Cisco network support engineer

“Please rate useful posts so other users can benefit from it” Greetings, Johnnatan Rodriguez Miranda. Cisco Network Support Engineer.

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Duplicate post #2.

jonatrod
Level 7
Level 7

Good afternoon  Anup Sasikumar

Thanks for using our forum

My name is Johnnatan and I am part of the Small business Support community I have seen your post and I understand that you would like to configure VTP and GVRP.

I'm afraid you will have to configure manually every Vlan in each  CatOS device running GVRP, in order to  keep their vlan databases in sync. As you said, VTP is not support it in CatOS

You can try to communicate both protocols,  however I  encourage you not to follow that procedure.

About your question about intervlan routing, if you  create a corresponding interface VLAN 150 on the Core Switches it will be routed, if your configuration is correct ( access port, trunk ports, intervlan etc.)

I hope you find this answer useful, if it was satisfactory  for you, please mark the question as Answered.

Please rate helpful posts.

Greetings,

“Please rate useful posts so other users can benefit from it” Greetings, Johnnatan Rodriguez Miranda. Cisco Network Support Engineer.

Hi Jonathan,

Thanks for the reply.

If we are creating new VLAN 150 on the Access Layer Cisco SMB Switch and creating it 's corresponding interface VLAN 150 on Core Switches , Is it necessary that the VLAN be created in Distribution Switch as well ? Will it be trunking VLAN across to the access layer if it is not present in the Distribution Switch ?

Regards,

Anup

Regards,
Anup

Hi Anup Sasikumar

Let me explain you, with this little diagram.

Core=[vtp mode server (recommended)]

Distribution= vtp mode client (recommended)

Access= local vlan database (manual configuration)

In this way the vlan 150 only be created manually in the Core and Access switches, and the Core switches are going to create the  VLANs for Distribution switches.

Core--->Distribution = Trunking ports.(Allowing selected VLANs)

Distribution--> Access = Trunking ports.(Allowing selected VLANs)

Access-->Users= Access ports.

Please rate the posts that you consider useful.

Greetings,