cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Cisco SG200-50/SG300-52/SG300-28 Vlan questions

herot80
Level 1
Level 1

I have upgraded from a netgear switch that supported 802.1Q. With the netgear I was able to create several vlans and make certain ports available in all vlans by untagging said ports in all vlans including the default. It seems the SG200-50 doesn't allow a port to be untagged in more than one vlan? My requirements are very simple: I have several groups of computers that need to be in seperate vlans so that they can't communicate with each other while at the same time still be able to access the same servers. I am not trying to span switches. I am really just wanting to duplicate the functionality of port based vlanning. How can I accomplish this?

24 Replies 24

Andrew, a stupid question, are you using the same two pc's to test the two settings?

If not, ensure all firewalls are off. I made this stupid mistake where they wouldn't ping and then I found out the firewall was on.

I have been using several different devices to test actually. On the PC's I was not able to find a pattern on the ones that worked/didn't work. They all had the windows firewall on working or not... which gateway/dns they were assigned to didn't matter... not sure of NIC cards. BUT remember, trying to do the same thing worked PERFECT on my old Netgear...

HOWEVER, in your configuration you sent 2 posts ago, it looks like you are tagging in places where I am untagging...

yours looks (with your logic applied to my ports):

GE1 General 20UP, 1T

GE2 General 40UP, 1T

GE33 General 1UP, 20T, 40T

GE43 General 1UP, 20T, 40T

MINE logic was:

GE1 General 20UP, 1T

GE2 General 40UP, 1T

GE33 General 1UP, 20U, 40U

GE43 General 1UP, 20U, 40U

I will try testing with your logic...

OK, first things first... port 33 and port 39 CANNOT communicate with config below:

GE33 General 1UP, 20U, 420U, 1331T

GE39 General 1T, 1331UP

if i change

GE33 General 1UP, 20U, 420U, 1331T

to

GE33 General 1UP, 20U, 420U, 1331U

Then they can communicate again...

Why?

My switch is in LEVEL 3 mode

Does it need to be IP group address's in the multicast tab??? ALL my computers/servers/devices are on the Same 192.0.2.0 subnet

whats the PVID of GE39?

In my switch is shows UP for untagged and pvid and TP tagged PVID and then U or T blah blah

so port 39 is pvid 1331 and it is untagged in it (UP)

alexguyinblack
Level 1
Level 1

Hi Andrew! It's been a while but did you have any luck with this?

Hi Alex,

I got really confused by this thread.  Andrew trying to allow different IP hosts in different  untagged vlans to communicate , by putting the ports into General mode. 

General mode allows for  a  switch port to be a member of many untagged vlans at one time..

I have never used general mode personally.

If I want different vlans to Layer 3 switch  between different VLANs, I would need a 300 series switch not a 200 series switch. 

Andrew was almost  saying h am trying to router at Layer 3 on a traditional Cisco 2960S switch, how can I get this to work ?

It doesn't happen, he would have to  use something like a 37XX series switch of some kind,  to allow for Layer 3 switching between VLANs.

Alex, do you need any assistance?

regards Dave

Thank you very much David for offering to help! Yes please, i would really appreciate it. my thread is right here:

https://supportforums.cisco.com/thread/2151967?tstart=0

Thanks in advance!

Alex

jonathan.schott
Level 1
Level 1

Hi Andrew,

I know this question is quite old, but I finally found the solution (and explanation) for this. It works as you require and very easy!

See my answer in the following thread: http://supportforums.cisco.com/message/3915572#4166596

Best regards,

Jonathan

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Switch products supported in this community
Cisco Business Product Family
  • CBS110
  • CBS220
  • CBS250
  • CBS350
Cisco Switching Product Family
  • 350X
  • 550X