cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Cisco SG250-26HP "PortFast"

Sleepy
Level 1
Level 1

TL:DR; How do you enable PortFast on a SG250-26HP?

Full story:

I have just installed a DoorBird doorbell, that has a IP camera, and have some problems. It gets power, but cannot access my LAN. Looking into the logs, it connects (see later in mail) but immediately disconnects from the switch. Consequently, I cannot see the DoorBird on my  router (IP or MAC address), as the data is not passed on from the switch.

It is connected to a Cisco SG250-26HP, that support the PoE IEEE 802.3af standard, as does the DoorBird doorbell. I read the DoorBird FAQ and saw that when using Cisco gear the following applied:

"In case you are running our devices in a network with a switch from CISCO Systems, please make sure to activate "PortFast" in your switch management. In case the function is deactivated, our devices cannot connect to the internet anymore after the daily routine restart."

The SG250-26HP does not have a PortFast function it seams, but it has something called "EdgePort" which according to a different forum I read, is similar. However I still cannot get it to connect tom my LAN even with EdgePort turned on.

I do however see reports in the Cisco log that the applicable port connects, then disconnects immediately, repeating every few seconds:

2018-Mar-25 18:11:47 Warning %LINK-W-Down:  gi5   

2018-Mar-25 18:11:47 Informational %LINK-I-Up:  gi5   

2018-Mar-25 18:11:47 Warning %STP-W PORTSTATUS: gi5: STP status Forwarding

This leads me to think there is not a hardware issue with cables or anything, but a software setting in the switch.

Can anybody help me enable PortFast, or an equivalent setting on the SG250-26HP?

2 Replies 2

Aleksandra Dargiel
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi Sleepy,

I would suggest you to place unmanaged switch in-between and exclude or confirm STP issue or perhaps discover something new.

Regards,

Aleksandra

I was thinking the same thing, so I ordered a cheap PoE switch that is on DoorBird a comparability list, just to try it out. Will report back. 

However, I would still like to find a solution, as I don’t need yet another box in my rack. :)

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Switch products supported in this community
Cisco Business Product Family
  • CBS110
  • CBS220
  • CBS250
  • CBS350
Cisco Switching Product Family
  • 350X
  • 550X