cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Cisco SG300-10 & FiOS Actiontec Router

cdegroat82
Level 1
Level 1

Hello all.  I just received a new Cisco SG300-10 and am configuring it in Layer 3 mode.  I am trying to setup multiple routed VLANs going back to a FiOS Actiontec router.  My configuration is as follows.

Fios Router: 192.168.1.1

Assigning DHCP 192.168.1.2 through 100.

SG300-10 has VLan 1 ip 192.168.1.5 used for Mgmt.

VLAN2 is 10.0.2.1

VLAN3 is 10.0.3.1.

I have a static route set on the fios router for both subnets setup as follows.

Destination 10.0.3.0 Gateway 192.168.1.5 Netmask 255.255.255.0 Metric 1

Destination 10.0.2.0 Gateway 192.168.1.5 Netmask 255.255.255.0 Metric 1

I have a laptop connected to Gi8 on the Cisco (Vlan 3) and statically assigned 10.0.3.3, with a gateway of 10.0.3.1.  DNS set to the fios router (192.168.1.1). 

Everything pretty much works EXCEPT, I cannot get out to the internet from either vlan.  Traffic routes between vlans/and the default subnet on the fios without issue.

When I ping out, DNS resolves, but will not go past the fios router.  Am I missing a setting somewhere?

Thanks,

Chris

5 Replies 5

David Hornstein
Level 7
Level 7

Hi Chris,

Can that FIOS router also NAT  network 10.0.3.x  and 10.0.2.x network.

DNS resolves as you are sending DNS requests to the FIOS router,  If you were to sedn DNS requests to a DNS on the internet, I would doubt you would get a response.

I think you have to fi9gure how the FIOS router can NAT and Firewall these two extra network.

regards Dave

Dave,

I think you are 100% correct - and I think I found a way to NAT the 2 subnets.

I setup a seperate "Connection" (Thats what its called in the fios router) and assigned it IP 10.0.3.2 and 10.3.2.2 respectively (I think this adds the subnet to the NAT).  I was also able to setup the Fios Router DHCP server to assign for those subnets.  This allows me to get out to the internet and route between subnets, however the problem I have now is the clients cannot pull an IP via DHCP.  Im pretty sure I just need to setup the DHCP Relay option on the Cisco, but am unsure how exactly to do so.  Any help on that would be much apreciated!

Thanks,

Chris

Hi  Chris.

Under the  IP configuration TAB is a section on DHCP replay.

I actually clicked help and it bought up the second screen capture below..

The question on my mind is how can this FIOS router differentiate a DHCP request from VLAN2 or VLAN3.

We offer option 82 informaton out to the routers, so the router would know which VLAN the DHCP request is coming from.

So,  on the screen below enable DHCP Relay, maybe if you can use it, tick option 82.

Then select the tab  DHCP relay interfaces,  and  add the two VLAN  interfaces that you wish to be relayed

let's see how you go .

regards Dave

Thank you!!!  Great help!

You already know

I assume you have default route on the SG300 switch pointing to your FIOS router.

You may need to add an ACL on the FIOS router for the layer 3 networks to allow them on the internet.  A lot of routers only allow DHCP networks setup on the router outside so you need an ACL to allow non-DHCP networks out on the internet.

I assume your are using an access port for 192.168.1.5 your layer 3 connection to the router.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Switch products supported in this community
Cisco Business Product Family
  • CBS110
  • CBS220
  • CBS250
  • CBS350
Cisco Switching Product Family
  • 350X
  • 550X