cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Cisco SG300-28P W/ PoE Stops responding.

Parth Maniar
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

I'm facing a peculiar problem while accessing the switch (regardless of the mode - L2 / L3) once I connect a WiFi router provided by the ISP (Local make). The Switch stops responding on the web based console as well as ping. The network remains up but hosts' stop responding to ping packets to each other too. Only way I get control of the switch again is by rebooting it.

Switch is operating at its default IP: 192.168.1.254 and the plugged in router has a hard coded IP of - 192.168.1.1. I've taken a cable from the router (from its Ethernet port) and I've plugged it in to the router.

Just for the sake of it I've plugged the router cable in the link ports too but the switch stop's responding.

Any Idea?

Thanking you in anticipation,

Parth Maniar

2 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

Hi Parth, before connecting the switch to the router, did you set the switch to a static IP (even if it remains default at the 192.168.1.254)? If you connect a router using DHCP the switch management IP will change by default.

-Tom
Please mark answered for helpful posts

-Tom Please mark answered for helpful posts http://blogs.cisco.com/smallbusiness/

View solution in original post

Hi Parth,

If the switch's DHCP lease expires, and your DHCP server decides to hand it a different address, that could account for you not being able to reach the switch. So Tom's advice is perfect in that you should set a static management IP.

Layer 2 mode sounds good in your scenario since you're not using the switch as an IP router. It sounds like you have a router at 192.168.1.1 to handle that.

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4

Parth Maniar
Level 1
Level 1

FYI: I'm running Firmware: 1.2.9.44

Hi Parth, before connecting the switch to the router, did you set the switch to a static IP (even if it remains default at the 192.168.1.254)? If you connect a router using DHCP the switch management IP will change by default.

-Tom
Please mark answered for helpful posts

-Tom Please mark answered for helpful posts http://blogs.cisco.com/smallbusiness/

Thank you Tom, Management IP of the switch indeed did change once the router was plugged in.

Also, is it better to use the switch in L2 mode or L3 mode in the above given scenario?

Hi Parth,

If the switch's DHCP lease expires, and your DHCP server decides to hand it a different address, that could account for you not being able to reach the switch. So Tom's advice is perfect in that you should set a static management IP.

Layer 2 mode sounds good in your scenario since you're not using the switch as an IP router. It sounds like you have a router at 192.168.1.1 to handle that.