cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Cisco SG500-52P VLAN ports with static IP addresses

pg1151
Level 1
Level 1

I have a Cisco SG500-52P switch and I have ports 2-24 segregated into VLAN2 and ports 26-48 segregated into VLAN 4. I have been asked to configure 3 ports in my VLAN 4 to use static IP addresses in the VLAN subnet. My question is do I set this up through my firewall or do I need to set this up on the switch itself (inside the VLAN 4 ports). If I need to set this up through the ports in VLAN 4, can some tell me how to configure them?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

set it statically on the machines, make a reserve on the dhcp pool for this machines. On switch that these endpoints are connected, set their port to vlan 4 ( Does vlan 4 is correctly?).

What model of your firewall?
Jaderson Pessoa
*** Rate All Helpful Responses ***

View solution in original post

10 Replies 10

Jaderson Pessoa
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

@pg1151 

Hello,

Whos make your routing?  SG500 or FIREWALL?

if your SG500: This static ips will applied under interface or at end device?

Exemple:

if under interface:

interface 1/0/45

ip address 192.168.1.1

no shutdown

if under interface:

interface 1/0/46

ip address 192.168.2.1

no shutdown

if under interface:

interface 1/0/47

ip address 192.168.3.1

no shutdown

Obs: you cant use the same subnet range on L3 device for diferents interface; But you can input the ports in the same vlan subnet and input end devices with static IP.

Jaderson Pessoa

My firewall is a Cisco Meraki MX 100. I'm using the GUI on the switch. The ports that are assigned to VLAN 4 are ports 26-48 and they are in a 172.27.X.X subnet. The 3 ports that I need to make static would be under the 172.27.X.X subnet.

@pg1151 hello,

You cant input ip in an interface that have range already configured on your router to other vlan or interface;

The 3 ports that I need to make static would be under the 172.27.X.X subnet.

May i ask why do you need input static ip on this interfaces? Why you didn't input it on end device?

Jaderson Pessoa

The user needs 3 machines to be able to talk to one another, thus the needs for static IP's. Are you saying the best option is to input the static IP on the end point instead of in the firewall?

Hi @pg1151 ,

If you configure, in pool DHCP, the IP association with the MAC address of the end devices, you depend of the DHCP service for these devices to obtain their IP parameters.
If you configure static IP directly on the end devices, you will not have this dependency of the DHCP protocol.

Regards

I suggest you to input the ip address statically on the machine and in your dhcp scope and make a reserve for this address.

I think that is the best option.

Jaderson Pessoa

I may have to input the static IP's on the end points. The firewall has our DHCP pool but now that the end points are on a VLAN, the DHCP pool, from the firewall, doesn't seem to communicate with the end points. Therefore, the end points are not getting the static IP address from the firewall's DHCP pool. Is this what you would do? Thanks

set it statically on the machines, make a reserve on the dhcp pool for this machines. On switch that these endpoints are connected, set their port to vlan 4 ( Does vlan 4 is correctly?).

What model of your firewall?
Jaderson Pessoa

yes, vlan4 is correct. Firewall is Cisco Meraki MX100.

great,
how to make a reservation on your firewall.

https://documentation.meraki.com/MS/Layer_3_Switching/Configuring_DHCP_Services_on_the_MX_and_MS
Jaderson Pessoa
Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Switch products supported in this community
Cisco Business Product Family
  • CBS110
  • CBS220
  • CBS250
  • CBS350
Cisco Switching Product Family
  • 350X
  • 550X