cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Cisco Small Business Name

sulerazak
Level 1
Level 1

I have a couple of SF300-24P 24-Port 10/100 PoE Managed Switches in my Network. The problem I have is that, even though I name it appropriately at System Settings via the web interface, I dont see the same name when I do  a 'Show cdp neigh' from a neighboring switch. Below is a snapshot of what I see. 

6 Replies 6

Tom Watts
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi Sulerazak, I think it depends on your software version running on these switch as well. The system name TLV if I remember correctly was not a default feature in earlier releases.

If you check the setting on the switch for the CDP properties, confirm there is a System name TLV. If it is not there then the host name will be what it is, which I am guessing that looks like some sort of unique product identifier for the switch platform.

On the newer releases of software there is System Name TLV available as a configurable feature along with the CDP version type.

-Tom Please mark answered for helpful posts http://blogs.cisco.com/smallbusiness/

Hello

short answer: perform this command "cdp device-id format hostname" on SG300 switches to get them advertised hostname instead of system MAC address in CDP packets.

Yiu Kay Lee
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hello,

http://www.cisco.com/c/dam/en/us/td/docs/switches/lan/csbms/sf30x_sg30x/administration_guide/CLI_300.pdf

You can change system device-id display from MAC address (default) to host name or serial number.

Yiu Kay Lee

Concentrix at Cisco

.:|:.:|:. CISCO | Yiu Kay Lee | SMB Pre-Sales | yiulee@cisco.com | Phone +1 (855) 354-7776

sulerazak
Level 1
Level 1

Thank You all for your response. Unfortunately, when I do a "cdp device-id format ?" at config mode, I only have options of mac and serial number as shown below. Is it that my IOS doesnt support the hostname format?

Hello,

What version of firmware your SF300 switches are running ?

Yiu Kay Lee

Concentrix at Cisco

.:|:.:|:. CISCO | Yiu Kay Lee | SMB Pre-Sales | yiulee@cisco.com | Phone +1 (855) 354-7776

I've just confirmed and it appears the firmware is the problem. Perhaps, I need to do an upgrade.Below is a snapshot of the current firmware

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Switch products supported in this community
Cisco Business Product Family
  • CBS110
  • CBS220
  • CBS250
  • CBS350
Cisco Switching Product Family
  • 350X
  • 550X