Views
Helpful
Replies

Cisco Switch Login Prompt Names.

vasilioshapsis
Level 1
Level 1

Greetings,

I am fairly new to Cisco and still learning however I am kindly asking whether anyone knows how to modify the actual prompt naming convention for Cisco switches particularly the SG-300-28P Gigabit Managed Switch. What I mean by the prompt naming convention is the following:

Upon connecting to the SG-300-28P Gigabit Managed Switch on the network it is displaying the prompt

User Name:      (Note the space between User and Name)

However when attempting to connect to a Cisco Catalyst 2960S Switch or Cisco 2911 Router it is displaying the prompt:

Username:       (Note there is no space between User and name)

Is there any way of modifying the switches to display a login prompt of either one option (User Name or Username) as I intend to run a management software that will require logging into the switch using the correct prompt display.

Please have a look at the attached images to understand the differences i am experiencing between each prompt.

Many thanks for any assistance!

Vasilios

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Hi,

I checked the file and likely there is another file where it will tell the process to get the information from this file. I do not think changing anything in this file will help.

Can you perhaps post in their forum to check which file is actually checking the username field from this file?

Thanks  

View solution in original post

7 Replies 7

rakeshvelagala
Level 3
Level 3

I do no think there is a way to change that.

What software are you using?

If you are using a script, you can accommodate with/without space.

Hello rakeshvelagala,

Unfortunately I am not making use of any script. The only tools I am making use of to manage the network switches is NetDB of which the .CONF file makes use of the term Username as opposed to User Name.

Is there no other opensource software that will be able to provide management side information about a switch: e.g.

Port Number, VLAN assignment, MAC of device attached, Switch Port Status.

Many thanks in advance.

Vasilios

Hi,

Can you please attach the .conf file? You can put some dummy values for user and password.

Thanks

Hi rakeshvelagala

Please find attached the .conf file. i have copied the content into a notepad for your ease of use.

Many thanks for all your help

Vasilios

Hi,

I checked the file and likely there is another file where it will tell the process to get the information from this file. I do not think changing anything in this file will help.

Can you perhaps post in their forum to check which file is actually checking the username field from this file?

Thanks  

Hi rakeshvelagala,

Correct, i have posted in their forum and they have provided assistance with regard to the login naming convention. Many thanks for your assistance.

Vasilios

Hi,

Many thanks for your update. Can you please post how you resolved it so that others who come looking for the same it in the future can do the same.

Thanks