Views
Helpful
Replies

Configuring Cisco 3750 with Comcast Business Gateway ISP

NickHerndon81
Level 1
Level 1

Hey Everybody!

Not sure if I am in the right place but I am new to the Cisco world and will be taking a company CCNA bootcamp here soon but in the meantime I need some configuring help for a buddys small business setup.  The issue is that he is getting rid of the Netgear home based switches which all of his current connected devices in the store are currently connected too and needs more ports.   What we need to do is to configure the Cisco 3750 I am assuming using dhcp so that we can use all of the ports on the switch to connect all of the i.e devices such as 2 POS systems, 2 credit card machines, 2 desktops, 1 lotto machine, and a samsung DVR cam system for the store.  All of these devices connect using dhcp and none of these devices need static IP addresses.  The current Setup now is the Comcast Business gateway, which has a wireless router connected to one of the ports on back of it, and then from both the wireless routers ports and the gateways ports devices are connected Cat5e.  We are Trying to just have connection to the switch provided by the ISP gateway so that we can connect all of the devices, and then have the wireless router , as just what it is, to provide wireless access for the store.

5 Replies 5

balaji.bandi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

You can do the below steps and understand the steps before you implement :

1. right now your switch numbered as switch 3, if this is only switched then make it switch 1 as below command

config t

switch 3 renumber 1

!

end

wr

2. reload the switch - so you have switch 1 come back online with port start from 1.

3, as per understanding Comcast Router offers you DHCP and NAT.

4. Choose 1 of the port and connect to Comcast port, check the port come up/up

5. by default all ports belong to VLAN  1

6. you can connect one of the PC on any port and test you have internet working, and DHCP service offered by your ISP router.

This switch does not do any NAT, it can be as DHCP Server.

let us know how your testing working.

BB

***** Rate All Helpful Responses *****

How to Ask The Cisco Community for Help

Ok so I have renamed the swi to switch 1.  So you are saying plug into a port on comcast gateway to port 1 of the switch?  And then as far as all of the devices in singh's store i.e credit card machine, POS, lotto machine can just be plugged into any of the open ports on the switch correct?  What about the wireless router he has?  Do I just plug that into an empty port on the switch as well?

yes  correct - you can plug any port since all belong to vlan1

as suggested steps, before plug, all devices test with 1 device and working as expected and move all of them,

if the wireless device working before, it should work as expected when you plug in to one of the ports.

make sure you can also set port access or trunk depends on requirement.

BB

bwashing
Level 1
Level 1

Same issue.  I can't ping out from 3750 connecting to comcast modem.

balaji.bandi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

We do not have enough information -either open a new thread with more information,

Let us know high level how your network and what configuraiton of 3750 has, what kind of issue you are encountering.

BB

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Switch products supported in this community
Cisco Business Product Family
  • CBS110
  • CBS220
  • CBS250
  • CBS350
Cisco Switching Product Family
  • 350X
  • 550X