cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Connect two switch stacks without stacking....

craigdenton
Level 1
Level 1

OK, so we have an SG500 stack and another SG500XG stack, we would like to connect the two stacks together using a Direct Attach Cable (which we have also used to create the stacks).

Is it possible to attach the two stacks together in this way without the two stacks becoming one stack? (we have reasons we don't want one big stack)

Hopefully that makes sense?  Any insights appreciated. 

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Mark Malone
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Unfortunatly not , if you use stack cables and connect them to switches the hardware automatically reads the cable and starts to initiate the process without any input from end user.

The only other option can think off is create an etherchannel between the stacks have 1 stack as L2  daisy chained off L3 stack that way

View solution in original post

6 Replies 6

Mark Malone
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Unfortunatly not , if you use stack cables and connect them to switches the hardware automatically reads the cable and starts to initiate the process without any input from end user.

The only other option can think off is create an etherchannel between the stacks have 1 stack as L2  daisy chained off L3 stack that way

Thanks for the advice, I was hoping it would be possible as both would hopefully negotiate to 5G, but as suggested it looks like ether-channel is the way to go.

Many Thanks

Kevin_W
Level 1
Level 1

Hello craigdenton,

in my opinion this is not possible. When you connect switches via stack-cables to each other, they are all in one stack. 

Besides you would not have enough cables/ports to connect the two stacks with each other. Every switch in a stack should be connected with two stack cables to get the full bandwith.

I would suggest to make one big stack or to connect the stacks with a port-channel with each other.

Best regards,

Kevin

I did think that, many thanks, the reason I didn't want one big stack is that the SG500's can only do 8 LAG groups and the 500X's can do 48, I cant test but I would assume that if I stacked in one big stack I would end up with the "least amount of connectivity" so 8 LAG groups.

devils_advocate
Level 7
Level 7

Just run 2x Fibre Cables between them and create a L2 Etherchannel. 

Looks like that's the way to go.  Many thanks.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Switch products supported in this community
Cisco Business Product Family
  • CBS110
  • CBS220
  • CBS250
  • CBS350
Cisco Switching Product Family
  • 350X
  • 550X