cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Connecting two cisco ESW 500 series switches.

techspec90
Level 1
Level 1

Hi Experts,

I have a basic knowledge of network and need some help.

I have two cisco ESW 500 series switches and i want to connect them together.

Q1 # Which type of cable i should use to connect these two switches CrossOver or fiber...What is the advantage of using Fiber over CrossOver. ?

Q2 # What are the marked ports in the image used for...???

pro ESW 500 series.jpg

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

mpyhala
Level 7
Level 7

Hi tech spec,

You can use either copper or fiber. You can use straight through, crossover is not necessary. Fiber is usually more reliable, can offer better throughput, and much longer distances if needed. You will need to purchase SFPs to connect the fiber to the switches, which is an extra expense.

The ports on the right are shared. If you plug an SFP into the far right port for fiber, then the port to the left of it becomes inactive. Only the copper port or the SFP port can be used at one time. Also, these ports are usually used to uplink to another switch or router.

Please mark this thread as answered or reply if you have any additional questions.

- Marty

View solution in original post

6 Replies 6

mpyhala
Level 7
Level 7

Hi tech spec,

You can use either copper or fiber. You can use straight through, crossover is not necessary. Fiber is usually more reliable, can offer better throughput, and much longer distances if needed. You will need to purchase SFPs to connect the fiber to the switches, which is an extra expense.

The ports on the right are shared. If you plug an SFP into the far right port for fiber, then the port to the left of it becomes inactive. Only the copper port or the SFP port can be used at one time. Also, these ports are usually used to uplink to another switch or router.

Please mark this thread as answered or reply if you have any additional questions.

- Marty

@mpyhala..

Thank You So much for ur reply....

I wanna ask one thing that why it is said that we should connect two switches with cross overcable if we can connect them wth straigth cable..??

And do i have to use the ports on the right to connect another switch with it.....Is that u mean by "Uplinks"...??

tech spec,

Traditionally you would use crossover to connect switches. Most modern network devices have Auto-MDIX which allows the device to connect using either crossover or straight through.

The ports on the right can be used for uplink or as regular network ports. On the 10/100 versions the ports on the right are usually Gigabit, thus making them more suitable for uplink to another switch, etc.

- Marty

@Mpyhala.

Ok....

If we want to connect more than two switch with it for redundancy purpose then after using the Gigabit ports as uplinks to the two switches.....

Should we have to use the remaining ports on the left to connect more switches......

-TechSpec

TechSpec,

Yes, you can use any port(s) on the switch to connect more switches.

- Marty

Thanks for ur Help.....!!!

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Switch products supported in this community
Cisco Business Product Family
  • CBS110
  • CBS220
  • CBS250
  • CBS350
Cisco Switching Product Family
  • 350X
  • 550X