cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Creating Trunk from Cisco 6513 to Cisco SG300-10P for Shoretel Phones

david.klein
Level 1
Level 1

I plugged a new Cisco SG300-10P into an access port on our Cisco 6513, which is in vtp mode.  I am thinking I will need to create a trunk port from the Cisco 6513 to the SG300-10P, in order to carry my desktop data vlan 1, and my new shoretel VOIP vlan 112.  I believe all ports some how are in trunk mode on the sg300 by default.  I have attached a picture of what this looks like on the sg300 vlan management area.  For some reason I can plug 3 phones into the sg300 that currently is just plugged into the access port of the 6513 and one of the 3 phones comes up with the right voip vlan 112 and goes in service fine.  The other 2 phones come up but show no service, until I shut the port down on the sg300 for these other 2 phones, and then bring the ports back up, then the phones come up.  This is all happening without having the port on the Cisco 6513 as a trunk port, it is only currently as an access port vlan 1 data and vlan 112 voip vlan.

my question is, do I need to put the cisco 6513 into trunk mode, and will the sg300 try to become the server within vtp and ruin my whole network.  This is what scares me, because I hear horror stories of this happening.  My other question is if I should be putting the port into trunk mode on the 6513 going to the sg300, will it cause all phones to come up at once without problems?  what would cause 1 out of the 3 phones to come up like they do, and the other 2 to come up after shutting down int and bringing it back up?

thanks Dave

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Duplicate post. 

Go HERE.

View solution in original post

1 Reply 1

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame