Views
Helpful
Replies

default/native vlan- voip data question- cisco sf300

xxxjogxxx
Level 1
Level 1

hi everybody,

I have to set up voip and data vlans on cisco sf 300-24P. I will set up phones over LLDP and

on the same port (on switch) I will have untagged vlan 10 for data, so PC will be connected

through IP phones on network.

So what confuses me that on SF 300 under VLAN mgmt--> Default VLAN settings you got

options to change default VLAN id (which is of course VLAN1) which will be active after reboot.

How come that you can change default vlan? Isnt that default vlan is always vlan 1 and you can

change native vlan to be something else- let say vlan 10 which will be untagged vlan for data?

So what is best practise- should I just leave default vlan 1 and use it for data also or I sholud

change it to let say VLAN 10 to be native and use it for data.

And what will be with default VLAN 1 if I change it with above mentioned procedure?

Thx!

2 Replies 2

jasbryan
Level 6
Level 6

Hi,

Best Practice is to leave Vlan 1 for management purposes only. Create yourself a DATA and VOICE vlan. Usually Management vlan does not have DHCP enabled and have to static assigned pc within your management vlan for access. I would say that it really depends on how the rest of your network is configured depending on configuration of switch now. Unless this is a clean install. 

Hope this helps,

Jasbryan

tnx for yours answer!