Views
Helpful
Replies

Device swamped on SG300 switch

phcjpp123
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

I have a recently purchased 28 port SG300 switch. Everything is working well. Unfortunately there is so much traffic flying around that a 10MB half duplex device is struggling to function as it is overloaded. Removing some of the sources of traffic fixes it.

Fortunately I only need to access that device from one PC on the network. That PC however needs to access everything else on the network.

Is there a simple way to shield the slow device from everything except traffic from the PC ?

The switch is in Level2 mode at the moment.

Everything is on a single subnet.

2 Replies 2

David Hornstein
Level 7
Level 7

Hi Chris,

wow interesting synopsis, I'm guessing this traffic may be multicast IP traffic or a very busy broadcast network?.

I think,  you are inclinded to putting the switch into layer 3 mode and run layer 3 switching between two vlans, the existing vlan and a VLAN containing the 10MB half duplex device?

Could be a instant way to reduce broadcast and/or multicasts hitting the 10MB half duplex device from the existing network.

regards Dave

Thanks Dave,

I will give that a try.

Randomly other that the user guide, are there any intro guides on these switches you have ever seen ?

Just thought I would ask

Chris