Views
Helpful
Replies

Device swamped on SG300 switch

phcjpp123
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

I have a recently purchased 28 port SG300 switch. Everything is working well. Unfortunately there is so much traffic flying around that a 10MB half duplex device is struggling to function as it is overloaded. Removing some of the sources of traffic fixes it.

Fortunately I only need to access that device from one PC on the network. That PC however needs to access everything else on the network.

Is there a simple way to shield the slow device from everything except traffic from the PC ?

The switch is in Level2 mode at the moment.

Everything is on a single subnet.

2 Replies 2

David Hornstein
Level 7
Level 7

Hi Chris,

wow interesting synopsis, I'm guessing this traffic may be multicast IP traffic or a very busy broadcast network?.

I think,  you are inclinded to putting the switch into layer 3 mode and run layer 3 switching between two vlans, the existing vlan and a VLAN containing the 10MB half duplex device?

Could be a instant way to reduce broadcast and/or multicasts hitting the 10MB half duplex device from the existing network.

regards Dave

Thanks Dave,

I will give that a try.

Randomly other that the user guide, are there any intro guides on these switches you have ever seen ?

Just thought I would ask

Chris

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Switch products supported in this community
Cisco Business Product Family
  • CBS110
  • CBS220
  • CBS250
  • CBS350
Cisco Switching Product Family
  • 350X
  • 550X