cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Does SLM224G have int. DHCP server?

paul
Level 1
Level 1

Quick Start Guide says plug PC into any port and point browser to 192.168.1.254. This seems to expect I'll get an IP address just by plugging in

but I do not.

paul

2 Replies 2

David Hornstein
Level 7
Level 7

Hi Paul,

The switches have a default IP address built into them ( 192.168.1.254).

Your setup could be for just for initial configuration.

step 1. Manually alter your PCs IP address to say, 192.168.1.100

step 2. then plug it into one of the SLM switch ports, so that there is only one CAT5 cable connected to the switch.

step 3. you should be able to use Internet Explorer V6 to access the SLM224G GUI interface at http://192.168.1.254.

Then you could access the switch and alter such parameters as management IP address of the switch to align it to the IP address to your network.

[make sure you save any changes you make]

On some of my switches, if you plug the switch into an existing network, it may get a management IP address via DHCP.

Personally I prefer to statically define my switches IP address, so I always know where it is in my network.

regards Dave

Thanks Dave. I guess I misread the features before buying. I need DHCP for my client PCs. My Catalyst  switches offer this.

paul

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Switch products supported in this community
Cisco Business Product Family
  • CBS110
  • CBS220
  • CBS250
  • CBS350
Cisco Switching Product Family
  • 350X
  • 550X