cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Doubt about SG500X-24 Stacking

cfujimura
Level 1
Level 1

I am installing a network that has two SG500X-24 switches as core and several SG300-52 switches as access switches. I've seen in the SG500X-24 datasheet that there is a True Stacking feature. But in the data sheet there are not a lot of details about it. My doubt is the following. If I configure the two SG500X-24 switches as a single switch through stacking them, can I connect one SG300-52 switch to these two SG500X-24 switches through two cables (both configured as a LAG in the SG300-52 and in the SG500X-24 stack, one cable per SG500X-24), the  the first cable connected to the first SG500X-24 switch and the second cable connected to the second SG500X-24 switch and keep both connections active?

Best regards.

Carlos Fujimura.

3 Replies 3

Tom Watts
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Yes this works and is supported.

-Tom
Please mark answered for helpful posts

-Tom Please mark answered for helpful posts http://blogs.cisco.com/smallbusiness/

Agreed - this works and is fully supported. BTW, the "true stacking" means:

- Master, Backup, Slaves

- Ring and Chain Configuration

- Local and Horizontal Stacking

- Unified Control, Forwarding, and Management plane

- Link Aggregation (Etherchannel), Port Mirroring (SPAN), QoS, ACLs distributed across stack members

- Single Spanning Tree instance, RMON/SNMP agent, IGMP Querier, etc

- 8 Units in stack – up to 400 ports

- Auto-numbering, Hot Swap of units in stack

- Mix of 10/100, Gigabit, and 10 Gig in same stack

Ivor

Tom and Ivor, thanks for the assistance.

I will have to figure out how to configure these devices to work like a single device.

I found some useful information on the SG500X administration guide (

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/switches/lan/csbms/Sx500/administration_guide/500_Series_Admin_Guide.pdf)

Do you have any other source of information?

Best regards.

Carlos Fujimura.