cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Dynamic VLAN assignment on SG300

FieldCricket
Level 1
Level 1

Cisco documentation states that dynamic vlan assignment via RADIUS should provide the following IETF values:

The RADIUS user attributes used for the VLAN ID assignment are:

• IETF 64 (Tunnel Type)—Set this to VLAN.

• IETF 65 (Tunnel Medium Type)—Set this to 802

• IETF 81 (Tunnel Private Group ID)—Set this to VLAN ID

I have done so with an Aruba Clearpass RADIUS server - but the Access-Accept message being sent below:

Radius:IETF:Tunnel-Medium-Type     6
Radius:IETF:Tunnel-Private-Group-Id     4
Radius:IETF:Tunnel-Type     13

is being received by the SG300 in some way that's not being interpreted correctly. Log files indicate that the IETF values are not what is expected:

07-Aug-2014 18:58:41 :%SEC-W-SUPPLICANTUNAUTHORIZED: username teststudent with MAC 00:11:25:d8:42:83 was rejected on port gi2 because Radius accept message does not contain VLAN ID

07-Aug-2014 18:58:41 :%AAAEAP-W-RADIUSREPLY: Invalid attribute 65 ignored - tag should be 0

07-Aug-2014 18:58:41 :%AAAEAP-W-RADIUSREPLY: Invalid attribute 64 ignored - tag should be 0

Is there something I'm missing here? These same values sent by the Clearpass RADIUS server are working for other switches such as Extreme and Brocade.

Thanks,

Aaron

5 Replies 5

Aleksandra Dargiel
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi Aaron,

Is this is something you see in your packet capture:

Radius accept message

Aleksandra

Hi Aleksandra,

Here are the values from a packet capture of the Access-Accept message:

Hi Aleksandra,

I notice that our tag values differ - your is 00 but mine is 01.

Cisco documentation notes:

As noted in RFC2868 , section 3.1: The Tag field is one octet in length and is intended to provide a means of grouping attributes in the same packet which refer to the same tunnel. Valid values for this field are 0x01 through 0x1F, inclusive. If the Tag field is unused, it must be zero (0x00). Refer to RFC 2868 for more information on all RADIUS attributes.

Could this be the source of the problem? If tunnel type and tunnel medium are ignored due to invalid attribute tag (as the log indicates), it's possible the vlan id for tunnel-private-group-id is ignored as well. If this is the issue, can the SG300 be configured to accept a 01 tag or is this something that I need to change on the RADIUS side?

Thanks,

Aaron

Hi Aaron,

Being honest never notice this. What is your Radius server you are testing with?

Aleksandra

Hi Aleksandra,

I am using Aruba's Clearpass Policy Manager. I have fixed the issue by including an Avenda VSA of Avenda-Tag-Id (1) = 0

Thank you very much for looking at this issue.

Thanks,

Aaron